Skip navigation to content

Requesting a Withdrawal from your Studies

When you have considered all aspects of the Withdrawal Application, you can make a formal request by contacting the relevant Registry Support Officer who can inform you of the process and initiate your withdrawal request. Alternatively, you can arrange an appointment to discuss the withdrawal procedure. It is not sufficient to inform your School or Student Services that you are not returning to your studies.

In order to complete the Withdrawal Application, you must provide the following information:

1.  What is your date of last attendance in lectures, tutorials or exams?

2.  Is your Withdrawal Application for?

  • Personal Reasons
  • Medical Reasons
  • Transferring to a different Institution

3.  Confirm that you have contacted the Money Advisor ( for advice about the financial implications of withdrawing from your studies? Please state your date of last attendance in this correspondence.

4.  If you have a Student visa, it is advised that you contact the International Advisors ( for information about the status of your visa once your withdrawal is confirmed.

In some cases you may need to meet with the Registry Officer and you may be asked to provide additional information. Once your Withdrawal Application is confirmed, you will receive official notification from the Registry Office. 

Student Services
You may also feel that you wish to discuss your various options with Student Services who can offer practical advice, suggest options and contact the Registry Officer on your behalf to make an appointment. The Advice and Support Centre can give information on any student matter and you can arrange an appointment by contacting the ASC (

Accommodation in Halls of Residence
Once your Withdrawal Application is confirmed you will have five working days to leave your Halls of Residence. For further information, please speak to the relevant Registry Officer (Support) or contact the Accommodation Office (

Contact detail

Undergraduate/Postgraduate (Taught)
Registry Officer (Support)
T: 01334 462129

Postgraduate (Research)
Registry Officer (Support)
T: 01334 462256

Ask a question



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2020


Student services

Eden Court
The Scores
St Andrews
KY16 9AS
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2720
Fax:+44 (0)1334 46 4007

Eden Court location map

Tell Us What You Think

We welcome feedback about your experience with Student Services. Whether your experience has been positive or negative we would like to hear about it so we can understand what we did right or where we could have done better. If there are issues with the service that need to be resolved or if you haven’t formed a good rapport with your Adviser/Counsellor we may put you in touch with an alternative member of our team or signpost you to an external source of support (if appropriate). Please share your feedback with Adam Welstead ( or Dr Penny Turnbull ( Assistant Directors of Student Services. Alternatively, you can fill in our Comments and Suggestions online survey.

Please also be aware that the University has Complaints Handling Procedure for formally addressing concerns.

  • Book an Appointment online