Skip navigation to content

Leave of absence (temporary withdrawal from study)

Taking a leave of absence is a significant step and the following guidance will explain the process and implications.

This information is for undergraduate students, postgraduate students should consult Academic changes - postgraduate research and Academic changes - postgraduate taught.

Once you've had a look at the pages below, you should contact your adviser of studies or supervisor to let them know that you are considering a leave. You should then contact Student Services who can discuss the options with you, and inform you of any implications of taking the leave.

It is important to quickly identify whether a leave of absence is the right choice for you, so that the leave can be requested as soon as issues arise, or alternative support can be put in place.

Ask a question



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 (46)2020

Encountered any difficulties?

Not the right match?  If you haven’t formed a good rapport with your Adviser or you’ve encountered any difficulties and wish to speak informally to someone, please contact Ruth Unsworth ( or Lara Meischke (, Deputy Directors of Student Services, in the first instance.

Please also be aware that the University has Complaints Handling Procedure for formally addressing concerns.