Skip navigation to content

Requesting a Change of Mode of Attendance

If you feel you are unable to take a full-time programme of studies at the University of St Andrews you should first contact the appropriate Registry Support Officer for information about switching to a Part-Time programme. Although many degrees can be studied part-time, the structure of some courses makes satisfying the requirements of the degree difficult if studied part-time.

Part-time students are expected to complete their studies in double the time it takes a full-time student. A Part-Time student would be expected to take half the credit load of a full-time student. For undergraduates, this would be between 60 and 80 credits per year. It is important to check with your Adviser of Studies that you are taking all the required modules for your intended course because some modules may not be available every year.

If you require a Student visa to stay in the UK, then you cannot study part-time. Your Student visa has been issued based upon your full-time study. Therefore if you are not studying full-time, your Student visa is invalid. For more details, contact the International Student Advisers at Student Services.

When you have considered all aspects of a Change of Mode of Attendance Application, you can make a formal request by contacting the relevant Registry Support Officer with the following information:

1. Do you wish to change your Mode of Attendance to:

  • Part-Time Status
  • Full-Time Status

2. Is your Change of Mode of Attendance Application for:

  • Personal Reasons
  • Medical Reasons

3. Confirm that you have contacted the Money Adviser ( for advice about the financial implications of Changing your Mode of Attendance?

In some cases you may need to meet with the Registry Officer or Pro-Dean and you may be asked to provide additional information. It is also important to remember that the requested Change of Mode of Attendance may not be automatically guaranteed.

If your Change of Mode of Attendance Application is approved, you will receive official notification from the Registry Office by email.  If your request is not approved, please get in touch with the Registry Support Officer who will be able to discuss other options available with you.

Please note that if you wish to Change your Mode of Attendance back to its original status at the end of an academic year, you will need to make a similar application to the Registry Officer once again.

Student Services
You may also feel that you need to discuss your options with Student Services who can offer advice and suggest various options and resources.
The Advice and Support Centre can provide information on any student matter and you can arrange an appointment by contacting the ASC (

Access to University Services
As Part-Time students are fully matriculated, access to the Athletic Union, Students’ Association and student discount schemes are the same as for Full-Time students.

Student Accommodation
Part-time students are not normally offered accommodation in University Residences. Please contact Student Accommodation for further information.

Student Finance
There are several ways in which part-time studies can impact your finances:

  • Tuition fees: Whether your tuition fees is amended depends on the date that your mode of attendance change is approved. You should contact fees@ to discuss your liability. You should also speak to the Money Adviser if you are receiving funding for your tuition fees, as a change in mode of attendance could affect your eligibility.
  • Student Loans and other sources of funding: You will need to carefully check the terms of any loan, scholarship, bursary or sponsorship you are receiving as part of your study to see if it will be affected by a change to part-time study.
  • Council Tax: As a Part-Time student, you will be required to pay Council Tax. However, you may claim Council Tax Benefits based on your income.
  • Other financial considerations: If you have a disability and want to go part-time, you are recommended to go and have a chat with a Disability Adviser at Student Services. The University has an obligation to provide you with the necessary support and in most cases the Disabled Student Allowance will be unaffected.

Contact details

Undergraduate/Postgraduate (Taught)
Registry Officer (Support)
T: 01334 462129

Postgraduate (Research)
Registry Officer (Support)
T: 01334 462256


Ask a question



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2020


Student services

Eden Court
The Scores
St Andrews
KY16 9AS
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2720
Fax:+44 (0)1334 46 4007

Eden Court location map

Tell Us What You Think

We welcome feedback about your experience with Student Services. Whether your experience has been positive or negative we would like to hear about it so we can understand what we did right or where we could have done better. If there are issues with the service that need to be resolved or if you haven’t formed a good rapport with your Adviser/Counsellor we may put you in touch with an alternative member of our team or signpost you to an external source of support (if appropriate). Please share your feedback with Adam Welstead ( or Dr Penny Turnbull ( Assistant Directors of Student Services. Alternatively, you can fill in our Comments and Suggestions online survey.

Please also be aware that the University has Complaints Handling Procedure for formally addressing concerns.

  • Book an Appointment online