Skip navigation to content

Termination of Studies

If you have not achieved sufficient credits for your particular stage of study, you cannot continue your studies.  This is known as 'Termination of Studies' and means you are no longer a student at the University and, subject to the outcome of any appeal against this decision, cannot continue on your registered degree course. 

Students can appeal against Termination of Studies. Full details of the process can be found on the University's webpage on Academic Appeals and also further in the advice section on Appeals & S-coding. If you intend to appeal or have initiated the appeals process, you should normally continue to go to class in case your appeal is upheld.

If you have established that you have sufficient grounds for appeal, you should explain these grounds, including providing any relevant evidence, in your appeal submission.  Evidence could include medical documentation, or details of communication you have had with Student Services or a School.  Whilst it is expected that you include evidence with your appeal, you should indicate if any evidence is pending on the appeal submission deadline.  In your appeal, you must describe how your circumstances affected your studies and ultimately resulted in your studies being terminated. 

You must demonstrate a clear intention of continuing and completing your studies. Therefore, you should also include details of how you intend to do this. Outlining the steps you will take or have already taken to avoid getting into academic difficulty in the future is an important part of your appeal.  

Before submitting your appeal, you may wish to take advice from Student Services or the Students’ Association as they will be able to suggest what type of support you may need, or changes you should consider making in order to complete your studies.

Ask a question



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2020


Student services

Eden Court
The Scores
St Andrews
KY16 9AS
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2720
Fax:+44 (0)1334 46 4007

Eden Court location map

Tell Us What You Think

We welcome feedback about your experience with Student Services. Whether your experience has been positive or negative we would like to hear about it so we can understand what we did right or where we could have done better. If there are issues with the service that need to be resolved or if you haven’t formed a good rapport with your Adviser/Counsellor we may put you in touch with an alternative member of our team or signpost you to an external source of support (if appropriate). Please share your feedback with Adam Welstead ( or Dr Penny Turnbull ( Assistant Directors of Student Services. Alternatively, you can fill in our Comments and Suggestions online survey.

Please also be aware that the University has Complaints Handling Procedure for formally addressing concerns.

  • Book an Appointment online