Requesting a Change of Location

All students are expected to reside at a term address within a commutable distance from the University unless they have formal permission for their Study Location to be outside of St Andrews. 

This permission can be granted for academic purposes: for example, to conduct essential research. This permission can also be exceptionally granted for non-academic purposes with the support of the School for continued academic support and the approval of the Registry Student Support Officer.

Please note that permission for change of location is granted to taught students during teaching periods only in exceptional circumstances. 

In some cases you may need to meet with the Registry Officer, Associate Dean or Associate Provost and you may be asked to provide additional information. It is also important to remember that the application may not be automatically guaranteed and should be discussed in advance with the School and Registry Office in advance of the request.

In order to complete a Change of Location Application, please visit:

  • The MySaint Portal > My Applications > e: Vision applications > Change of Circumstances > Change of Location.
  • You will be asked to complete the online form, to provide your address and to indicate the reasons for the Change of Location.

For more information please visit see the University's location of studies policy.

Contact details

Undergraduate/Postgraduate (Taught)
Registry UG/PGT Change of Circumstance Student Support
T: +44 (0)1334 46 2129

Postgraduate (Research)
Registry PGR Change of Circumstance Student Support
T: +44 (0)1334 46 2256