Skip navigation to content

COVID-19 Update: To ensure the safety of the University community during the ongoing coronavirus situation, face-to-face meetings have had to be temporarily suspended. You can speak to an Adviser in the Disability Team via email, telephone or video call should you have any questions, issues or concerns about access and support.



The University provides support for students who declare a disability both at entry to their course and whilst on course.  If you are an entrant then we can start the process of putting arrangements in place before you start your studies and we would recommend that you contact the Disability Team as soon as you have made an application to study here.  The University has a range of reasonable adjustments that it can put in place for you to help you achieve your academic potential and to make the transition to University as smooth as possible.

The Disability Team has specialist advisers who advise students with physical disabilities, sensory impairment, unseen medical conditions, long standing health or medical conditions, mental health difficulties, Autistic Spectrum disorders and Specific Learning Differences: 

John Petrie, Disability Adviser
Sheila Baillie, Disability and Specific Learning Difficulties Adviser
Kate Leavy, Disability Adviser
Michelle Petrie, Disability and Specific Learning Difficulties Adviser

The following link will take you to our staff profile pages:

The Disability Team offers a wide range of support and can assist in the following areas:

  • Assessing appropriate support for you to access your course of study,
  • Informing Academic Schools and Exam Office of teaching and exam arrangements,
  • Arranging SpLD assessments and referrals to Educational Psychologists, (please be advised that SpLD Diagnostic Assessments ar temporarily suspended during the ongoing coronavirus situation)
  • Advice on Disabled Students' Allowance (UK students only),
  • Liaising with Student Accommodation so that you can be allocated a room in halls of residence that meets your needs, where possible,
  • Assisting you to contact external agencies, where appropriate to arrange support e.g. personal care and independent living support.

How to declare a disability

If you have a disability or a long term medical condition that impacts on your academic or residential experience at University, you may wish to declare this to the University.

To do this you need to:

  • Update your personal details on the student record system, e-Vision, where it asks if you have a disability.
  • Make an appointment with one of our disability advisers. Audio or video calls via Microsoft Teams are available at this time, or alternatively via email if preferred
  • Provide evidence of your disability from a GP, consultant, educational psychologist etc. If you have queries on your ability to provide supporting evidence we would encourage you to get in touch to discuss with a disability advisor
  • Once you have advised us of your qualifying disability and provided the details requested above, teaching and exam arrangements can be put in place. 
  • You will have an opportunity for these to be reviewed every academic session if needed, otherwise support plans automatically roll over each academic year.

For further advice email:

Please note: If the University has not been made fully aware of the requirements of a student with a disability as soon as possible during initial communications with the University, it cannot guarantee that suitable resources will be available on the student's arrival in St Andrews - although of course, every reasonable attempt shall be made.

For more information about confidentiality, please read Student Services Confidentiality Statement (PDF, 626 KB)



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 2020


    Student services Disability team are running a series of webinar workshops specifically aimed at students with disabilities and specific learning differences who would like to build on their study skills.

    The series will be held on the Microsoft Teams platform each week on a Thursday at 5 pm (BST). The format of the evenings will be a presentation followed by a live question and answer session. Please note that questions can be asked anonymously if preferable!

    The sessions will run from weeks 2 through to week 10. The workshops are organised so that students can attend those that interest them. All of the workshop recordings will be available on a link from the disability webpage to access at any future point that semester.

    The timetable of topics, and also the link to access, for each week are as below:

    24/09/2020 Active Engagement

    01/10/2020 Organisation and planning                           

    08/10/2020 Active Reading

    15/10/2020 Critical Thinking                                                        

    22/10/2020 Academic Writing                                                     

    29/10/2020 Editing and Proofreading                                          

    05/11/2020 Presentations                                                          

    12/11/2020 Motivation, Procrastination and Perfectionism       

    19/11/2020 Exam revision