Skip navigation to content

Prospective students

Q:  I am thinking of applying and will need support at University, what should I do next?

A: Okay, so you have read the prospectus, you have talked to your teacher at school or tutor at college and you have decided you want to apply to study at the University of St Andrews. What should you do next?

The Disability Team would strongly encourage you to get in touch so we can discuss the support you might require during your time at St Andrews. St Andrews has two Disability Advisers and one Specific Learning Difficulties Adviser who can offer support and advice throughout the application process. Whatever your disability, learning difficulty or health problem may be we want to make sure that you have access to appropriate support and adaptations necessary to enable you to participate fully in University life. During the application process the Disability Adviser can:

  • Arrange for you to visit the University so you can see what is on offer
  • Discuss with you the available support or adjustments you might require while at University

Q:  I have accepted a place, what do I do now?

A:  Once you have accepted a place, whether that is an unconditional or conditional offer, there is a lot that can be put in place before you even arrive in St Andrews. It is never too early to start organising the support you may require. The first thing to do, after accepting your place, is to get in touch with the Disability Team again. They can assist you in preparing for St Andrews by:

  • Helping you apply for Disabled Student Allowance
  • Helping you to identify what support, equipment or technology you may require.
  • Arranging assessments to be conducted by Educational Psychologists or Higher Education Access Centres.
  • Contacting academic members of staff and advise on alternative formats and accessible coursework.
  • Liaising with the Alternative Format Suite to ensure that alternative formats of academic material can be produced.
  • Discussing the possibility of using a non-medical personal helper such as a scribe in examinations
  • Liaising with Residential services so that you can be allocated a room in halls that meets your needs where possible.
  • Ensuring that you are able to physically access the teaching accommodation for your courses.
  • Assisting you to contact external agencies, where appropriate, to arrange support e.g. personal care and independent living support.

At this stage, the Disability Adviser will discuss the academic arrangements that you may need to be put in place.  These could include:

  • Exam provision such as extra time or use of computer
  • The provision of handouts/lecture slides
  • Organising non-medical personal helpers e.g. interpreters
  • Providing small items of equipment for you to borrow.
  • Providing access to a computer room which has assistive technology

Q. Is there an opportunity to have a look round the University before I apply?

A: The University holds regular visiting days when prospective students can have a look around the University and meet with a member of the Disability Team. To attend a visiting day see Visiting Days

Q. Do I need to provide the University with evidence of my disability/learning difficulty/medical condition?

A:  Before any support can be arranged the Disability Team will require up to date evidence (no older than 2 years). This evidence can be from your GP, Consultant, Speech Therapist, Educational Psychologist, Audiologist, Occupational Therapist etc. It is your responsibility to supply this. If you are unsure what evidence you need to provide please contact the Disability Team.

Q. Once I have submitted suitable evidence will my arrangements automatically be put in place?

A: Your arrangements are not put in place automatically. You must take responsibility for this by initiating a discussion with a member of a Disability Team. Certain arrangements (such as arranging interpreters, study skills tutor etc) can take time to put in place so the quicker you contact the Disability Team the better.

Next Steps?

You have got the exam marks, you have been allocated a place in hall and you have arrived in St Andrews. What is the next step?

  • It is vital that you make contact with the Disability Team so that an appointment can be arranged for you to meet with an adviser. You can do this by emailing or by dropping into Student Services at Eden Court, The Scores.
  • When you meet with the Disability Adviser, ensure that you provide information about your condition. We can then discuss the support that you require. Information relating to your exam and  teaching arrangements will then sent to the relevant members of academic staff
  • If you are eligible for Disabled Student Allowance but have not yet applied the Disability team can give you information and advice on this
  • If you require a personal helper the Disability Adviser will put this in place and you will get a chance to meet the personal helper

Prospective checklist

Things to do before you start.....

  • Contact the Disability Team to find out about available support
  • Arrange a visit to the University to see what is on offer and to meet with a Disability Adviser
  • Discuss needs with Student Residential Services so that every attempt can be made to allocate you a room in hall that meets your needs
  • Organise appropriate evidence
  • Apply for Disabled Student Allowance (if eligible)

You can contact the Disability Team by:

Telephone: 01334 462720


Mail: Eden Court, Gillespie Terrace, The Scores, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9AS.



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 (46)2020