Skip navigation to content

Specific learning difficulties (SpLD)

The Disability Team provides a confidential support service for disabled students, including individuals who have specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia or AD(H)D. We advise on reasonable adjustments and communicate the support that has been recommended to other University Services and Academic Schools.  You can arrange to meet with an SpLD Adviser to discuss your support requirements. Please  note that we can only make adjustments to teaching and examinations if you have a diagnostic assessment report prepared by an Educational Psychologist or Specialist SpLD Assessor (preferably carried out post-16) and, where available, supporting documentation relating to your academic needs, such as previous accommodations at school, college or other University.

Screening and assessment

If you think you may have a specific learning difficulty, you can make an appointment to see an Adviser to discuss your concerns. We can organise a screening for you and, where appropriate, an appointment can be made for you for further assessment with an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Assessor. For adults with ADD/ADHD symptoms, the process of assessment is normally by referral from your GP to a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist.

You can make an appointment to see a Specific Learning Difficulties Adviser in several ways: email  or telephone 01334 462720.

Students who have a specific learning difficulty and are ordinarily resident in the UK may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). The Disability Team can offer guidance on the process and help with applications.  Further information regarding DSA is available from your respective funding authority:

If you decide not to apply for DSA, or are not eligible for it, the Disability Team will still be able to advise you on what support is available to you so please get in touch with us.

You can make an appointment to see a Specific Learning Difficulties Adviser in several ways: email  or telephone +44 (0)1334 462720 or email

Alternatively, you can call into Student Services, located at Eden Court or contact The ASC in North Street between 9 am and 5 pm Monday – Friday, to make an appointment.



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 (46)2020