For current advice on the recruitment of staff during restricted working due to the Covid-19 pandemic, please refer to the Recruitment Guidance (PDF, 54 KB).
For guidance on self-isolation for new starts coming from outside the UK, please refer to the Self-isolation for New Starts FAQs (PDF, 75 KB).
For guidance on remote interviewing via Microsoft Teams, please refer to the Guide on Remote Interviewing (PDF, 627 KB).
For guidance on changes to advertising and appointing staff following the UK leaving the European Union, please refer to our Advertising and appointing staff post Brexit (PDF, 843 KB) document.
Aims and Service
The Recruitment team offers professional and friendly management of all recruitment and selection processes, from advertising to offer, for academic, research, and professional staff vacancies throughout the University and provides support and advice to both external applicants and members of staff, regarding all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If you have a query regarding the recruitment process, please contact any of the Recruitment team.
If you wish to view job opportunities at the University of St Andrews, please go to Current vacancies.
If you have a query regarding the application process, please email us.
All posts which are paid from a School/Unit cost centre require Workforce Planning Group approval prior to advertising.
Once Workforce Planning approval has been received, to recruit for your post:
- Complete the Further Particulars (Non Academic) (Word, 79 KB) template.
- Refer to the appropriate checklist (Managerial, Specialist & Administrative, Operational & Facilities or Technical) under the Documents section.
- Submit to vacancies along with details of your panel.
Once Workforce Planning approval has been received, to recruit for a Teaching Fellow, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader or Professor:
- Complete the appropriate Further Particulars template (see below). These templates can be amended to suit individual vacancies.
- Refer to the Academic Checklist (PDF, 137 KB) for non-Professorial posts or the Professorial Checklist (PDF, 66 KB) as appropriate, at all stages of the process.
- Further Particulars (Academic Research) (Word, 77 KB)
- Further Particulars (Associate Lecturer - Education Focused) (Word, 77 KB)
- Further Particulars (Lecturer) (Word, 93 KB)
- Further Particulars (Senior Lecturer) (Word, 88 KB)
- Further Particulars (Reader) (Word, 97 KB)
- Further Particulars (Professor) (Word, 102 KB)
Externally Funded Posts
To recruit for an externally funded vacancy:
- Complete Further Particulars (Academic Research) (Word, 77 KB) for Research posts or Further Particulars (Non Academic) (Word, 79 KB) for non-Research posts.
- Confirm panel members
- Confirm cost centre (please refer to your FAS team)
- Confirm if the post is new or replacing someone
- Submit the above to vacancies
- Refer to the appropriate Checklist.
Recruitment Guidance and Training
The University ‘Inclusive Recruitment Guide’ provides legal good practice and explanation of legislation relating to Recruitment and Selection.
All employees must complete the Recruitment and Selection online course prior to becoming a panel member.