Childcare Vouchers Scheme


The cost of childcare can account for a large percentage of the family budget however, help with these costs is available from the government and the University of St Andrews.


Government Support

Tax-Free Childcare

ComputerShare Vouchers SchemeNew staff joining the University of St Andrews, and existing staff who are not already a member of the University’s Childcare Voucher Scheme, may be eligible for the government's Tax-Free Childcare.

Tax-Free Childcare is a government scheme to help working parents with the cost of childcare.  For every £8 you pay into your childcare account, the government will pay in £2, up to a maximum of £2,000 per child each year, or £4,000 per disabled child each year.

The money can be used to pay for childminders; nurseries; nannies; breakfast and after-school clubs; playschemes; and holiday schemes.

Funded early learning and childcare

Funded early learning and childcare is free to parents through local authorities funded by the Scottish Government. Some two-year olds can receive funded childcare during term time if in receipt of certain benefits, while all three and four year olds are eligible for the funded early learning and childcare during term time.

University Support

Childcare Voucher Scheme

The government closed all workplace-based Childcare Voucher Schemes to new applicants with effect from 4 October 2018 and replaced them with Tax-Free Childcare. However, the University's Childcare Voucher Scheme continues to operate for existing members.

If you joined the University Childcare Voucher Scheme before 4 October 2018, i.e. you already receive Childcare Vouchers through the University, you will continue to do so, but it is no longer possible for anyone to join the scheme as a new member. If you are a current member of Computershare, and require further information about the Scheme, information can be obtained from Computershare, or telephone 0345 002 1111.

The Scheme ID for the University of St Andrews is 0000047079.

Childcare Vouchers vs Tax-Free Childcare FAQs

I am already using the University’s Childcare Vouchers, can I continue to use them?

You can continue to receive Childcare Vouchers as long as you remain in the scheme.  If you leave the scheme, or are no longer eligible, you can use up any outstanding balance of Childcare Vouchers in your account to pay for registered childcare.  However, once you have left the Childcare Voucher Scheme you cannot re-join.

I have just started at the University of St Andrews can I remain in the scheme, since I was receiving vouchers with my previous employer?

As you have moved employer you will be treated as a new entrant to the scheme, therefore you will not be entitled to Childcare Vouchers through the University of St Andrews, however you will still be able to use any Childcare Vouchers that are in your account.  You will still be able to access your Childcare Voucher account after you change employer and will be able to continue to pay your childcare provider whilst there are funds remaining in your account.  In order to continue receiving support for childcare, you may be eligible for the government's Tax-Free Childcare scheme. 

I opened a Tax-Free Childcare account; can I now re-join the Childcare Voucher scheme?

If you have previously been in the Childcare Voucher scheme, and left this to open, and have paid into the government's Tax-Free Childcare Scheme you can’t re-join any work-placed Childcare Voucher scheme. 

Nursery/Childcare providers

The University has negotiated discounted rates with a number of local nurseries/childcare providers.