Skip navigation to content

Student discipline

Quick links:
Effects of minor misconduct on degree
Effects of repeated or serious misconduct on degree
Misconduct in private accommodation
Breaking rules in halls of residence
Discipline records
Police involvement in misconduct on University property
Do I inform the University if charged by Police, whilst a student here?
University use of discipline fines


All students of the University of St Andrews are subject to the Academic Appeals and Student Conduct policies.

Each student has the right and ability to make decisions about his or her conduct, and the responsibility to accept the consequences of their decisions.  Where necessary, and in the event of misconduct, the University has the authority to take disciplinary action.  Every member of the community has a responsibility to report misconduct.  Students, staff, residents and visitors can all report misconduct to the appropriate staff.

Persistent or serious misconduct will be dealt with via the University Academic Appeals and Student Conduct. Penalties are determined on an individual basis and in the most serious cases, students may have their residence contracts reviewed, or may be expelled from the University.  In short, serious misconduct could result in withdrawal of accommodation and/or the University place.

Q.  Can minor instances of misconduct affect my degree?

A.  In the majority of cases, minor instances of misconduct will not be disclosed to academic departments.  Only major incidents, which may pose a potential risk to staff and students within the University will be disclosed.  However, there are some cases where relatively minor offences can hamper or even stop your progress:

Medical students: Please refer to your guidelines with reference to Fitness to Practice.  The University must disclose any misconduct which may affect Fitness to Practice to the General Medical Council 

Students receiving services scholarships (Army, Navy, etc): These scholarships are often dependant on good behaviour, and evidence of misconduct may result in scholarship money being withdrawn, and in some cases students can be asked to pay back previous scholarship payments. 

Students receiving other scholarships (Charitable, Sporting, personal): Please check the Terms and Conditions regarding your funding.

International Students: Although minor offences within the University are unlikely to affect your progress, criminal offences must be declared to apply for a visa extension.

Q.  How might repeated or serious misconduct affect my degree?

A.  Cases of repeated or serious misconduct may result in one, or any combination of the following sanctions may be imposed:

  • Suspension from University privileges for a stipulated period
  • Temporary or permanent exclusion from a specified part or parts of University premises
  • Expulsion from the University

Q. Surely what I do in privately rented accommodation has nothing to do with the University?

A.  If your actions as a resident of St Andrews negatively affect any other residents or visitors this is classed as ‘behaviour outside of the University which brings the University into disrepute’.  The University works hard to maintain ‘Town-Gown’ relations between the students and the residents of the town and will investigate any reports of poor behaviour believed to involve students.

Q.  Could I be asked to leave my Halls of Residence if I break hall rules?

A.  Yes. Please see the full terms and conditions for students in residence for further information.

The University take the health and safety of their staff and students very seriously, and therefore there are penalties for ignoring health and safety requirements.  Any conduct which breaks the terms and conditions of let will be reported to Residential and Business Services.

In addition to this, other cases of misconduct by residents will be handled by the Warden.  As such, the Warden is able to fine students, to require them to make good the cost in whole or part of any damage caused and, in serious cases, to recommend expulsion from the residence.

Q.  How long are discipline records kept for, i.e.  will misconduct in first and second year be taken into account in the event of further breaches of conduct?

A.  Discipline records are kept on file throughout your University career, and multiple breaches of conduct are likely to result in increased penalties.

Q.  Will misconduct on University property be reported to the Police?

A.  The University has an information sharing protocol with the Police meaning that serious offences may be reported to the Police.  It also means that the Police notify the University of any significant Police involvement with any student of the University.  Any member of staff or student has the right to involve the Police in matters where they feel it is required, for example, if there is a genuine concern for the well-being of a student or for others who may be affected.

Q.  Do I have to inform the University if I am charged by the Police whilst a student here?

A.  You must declare any conviction or pending cases when applying to study at the University. This will not automatically stop you being accepted, but it is important to let the University make an informed assessment of your situation. If you are charged by the Police whilst a student, you must inform Student Services as soon as possible. They will provide support and make a risk assessment of your case. Disciplinary action may also be considered. Further information can be found at Non-Academic Misconduct Policy (Students) or contact the University Discipline Officer for advice.

Q. I’ve had to pay a fine and a damages bill as part of my discipline sanctions.  Where does that money go?

A. These are handled separately by the University.  All money paid as discipline fines is passed to the Students’ Association Charities Fund.  Any bill for damages will be used to restore the area/item damaged to its original condition.