Before you go

Pre-Departure Agreement

While you are away

Learning Agreement (postgraduate taught students only)

  • All taught postgraduate student should complete a Postgraduate Learning Agreement (Word, 625 KB)
  • Discuss your learning agreement with your Study Abroad Coordinator before leaving St Andrews and ensure wherever possible that you select modules to study at your host institution prior to departure.  Should you make any changes once abroad, please update your Learning Agreement. If you are part of the Peacebuilding and Mediation (MLitt or MPhil), please discuss your study abroad module choices with with Dr Jaremey McMullin
  • See our Learning Agreement webpage for further guidance.
  • Final deadline: by the end of the fourth week of your placement abroad BUT before you go if possible. Please note the serious consequences, detailed at the above link, of failure to return an approved Learning Agreement by this deadline.

Research Practice Placement Agreement: School of International Relations, MPhil in Peacebuilding and Mediation

Students on the MPhil in Peacebuilding and Mediation should complete a Research Practice Placement Agreement (Word, 615 KB) by 30 June. The signed agreement should be returned to the Global Office:

Personal details

While you are away, you must ensure that your personal details are kept up-to-date.  This is important should we need to contact you in an emergency. You can update your details in MySaint.

On your return

Report Form

The Global Office will ask you to complete a short report about your time abroad when you return. This helps us to evaluate and improve our study abroad programmes - your feedback is valued. Report forms should be returned to by 1 August for full year and semester two placements and by 31 January for semester one only placements.

Report Form Study Placement (Word, 45 KB)

Report Form Work Placement (Word, 44 KB)

Host institution procedures

Remember, if you are studying abroad, your host institution will expect you to complete and return their application for admission, an accommodation application (if relevant) and any other documents for exchange students. Check your host institution's website for details and to ensure you don't miss important deadlines.

Your data

If you are studying or working abroad, you should read the University privacy notice: exchange of student personal data with partner institutions and other educational collaborations which outlines the University’s policy in relation to the transfer of personal data to collaborative partnerships in the UK and overseas.