Skip navigation to content

Finance and scholarships


Tuition fees

Most programmes involve payment of your normal tuition fees to St Andrews and no tuition fee liability at the host institution.



Several Study Abroad programmes have scholarships attached to help you with the costs of Study Abroad.

inbound - ashley - uni of san francisco


Find out about banking abroad and how your scholarship payments will reach you. 

Financial information 

Before applying to study abroad, you should consider the following:

  • Travel costs including flights, transfers and in-country travel
  • Living costs (You may have to demonstrate you have the necessary funds to satisfy immigration requirements in certain countries. Please refer to the undergraduate opportunities for an indication of how much this may be)
  • Books and supplies (the cost of purchasing books for academic purposes may be considerably higher in some countries)
  • Accommodation costs, particularly if you are required to live off-campus or to take out a meal plan
  • Opportunities to work part-time in the host country
  • Funding available e.g. Erasmus+ or other scholarships. If you normally apply for a US Federal Loan, you should contact the US Loans Team at before applying to study abroad to check what funding options are available to you
  • Vaccination costs (if applicable)
  • Visa application costs (this may also involve travel to the host country’s embassy e.g. the US Embassy is located in London)
  • International Child Protection Certificate (British Council Language Assistants only), normally around £60
  • Medical insurance if applicable (some partners, particularly in North America, require students to take out their on campus medical insurance policy).

Remember that while you may be eligible for a scholarship, you will be responsible for your travel and living costs and any other personal expenses.

For advice about arrangements regarding grants and loans which you currently receive and how study abroad may impact on these, please contact Joyce Lapeyre, Money Adviser at