Skip navigation to content

Passports and visas


If you are participating in a study or work abroad programme, you should ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your trip, and for at least six months after you return to the UK. As well as being a vital travel document, your passport will be important if you have to apply for a student visa. Some host institutions may request a copy of your passport as part of their application process.

We recommend that you scan your passport and send the scan to your University email address.

St Andrews students from outside the EU: your UK visa

If you have a visa to study at St Andrews, and have any questions about the implications of studying or working abroad whilst matriculated at St Andrews, you should consult Student Services via the Advice and Support Centre.  We will inform the UKVI that you are on a Study Abroad or Work placement. 

Please note: if you have a Tier 4 UK visa, this will not cover you for study in other countries.  You should investigate what visa you require for your host country as soon as possible. The University of St Andrews will report to the UKVI that you will be studying or working overseas as part of your degree programme. 

St Andrews students: visas for host destinations

Visas are likely to be required if you are studying outside the EU, or if you are a St Andrews student from outside the EU and are planning to study or work in another EU country.

Immigration laws are complex and subject to frequent changes, so it always best to check requirements with the relevant embassy. If you are studying abroad, your host institution may provide guidance about visa requirements.

Visa applications can be a lengthy process, in some cases lasting weeks or even months. We therefore recommend that you start the process as early as possible, and ensure you do everything required of you to make the process go smoothly. It is your responsibility to make sure you have the necessary visa documentation.

If you think you might like to work alongside your study at another institution, you should check with your host country's embassy about your eligibility to work and any consequent visa requirements. Some countries do not permit students on student visas to work, and others may have certain restrictions about the type of work or number of hours. 

If you plan to travel outside your host country while you are abroad, you must ensure that your student visa allows multiple entry.

Passport advice for UK nationals in Europe in the event of a no-deal withdrawal from the EU.

The UK government advises that UK passport holders (including passports issues by the Crown Dependencies and Gibraltar) will be considered third country nationals in the event of a no-deal scenario. This will mean that you may be subject to further requirements when entering Schengen countries including requirement to have a passport that was issued within the last ten years on the date of arrival in a Schengen country, and which has an effective validity of at least 6 months when you intend to travel to the country.

Schengen countries are: (Austria, Belgium, the Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland).

We advise that you prepare to be able to fulfil these requirements so that you are able to comply with regulations that may be in force should the UK government not reach a deal.

Please see the UK government advice in full for further information on the preparations you should take.

Visa information by host country

We have brought together important Visa information for Host Countries where we have exchange agreements in place with partner institutions. 

The following information was correct as of July 2019

Contact the Study Abroad team

Exchanges and Study Abroad

Outbound St Andrews Students
Ask a question 


Phone:  +44 (0)1334 46 2245

Student consultation hours and appointments: 2pm to 4pm, Monday to Friday during term time

Study and Work Abroad Coordinators

Connect with us on Facebook