Travel insurance

University travel insurance policy

St Andrews students authorised to study or work abroad as part of their degree programme will be covered by the University’s travel insurance policy during the academic year 2022-2023. 

If you are studying or working abroad in the academic year 2022-2023, please note the following points:

  • You should be prepared for local lockdowns and restrictions in your host destination. You must comply with these and follow local guidance and rules.
  • Wherever possible, we would encourage you to use DP&L to book travel, so we can support you with any cancellations or changes to your travel plans.

The University’s insurance provider is currently AIG Insurance - Globe Cover. Policy number: 0015901761

Insured persons:

“Any undergraduate, postgraduate or non-graduating matriculated student of the Insured undertaking approved travel within the UK and worldwide”

Cover includes:

  • Unlimited medical expenses
  • Cancellation and curtailment
  • Repatriation
  • Personal liability insurance
  • Baggage delay
  • Loss of or damage to personal belongings
  • Loss of travel documents (passport)

Excess is £100 for all claims.

For more details, please refer to the insurance documents which can be found in the Moodle module for outbound students.

Students should download the AIG Travel Handbook to a laptop or phone, or take a hard copy on their exchange.

Reminder: this is travel insurance, not health insurance. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it may be in your best interest to obtain health insurance for the course of your exchange.

In an emergency, students abroad covered by the University’s policy can obtain immediate assistance by contacting Globe Cover - 24 hour 365 day access.

Telephone: +44 (0) 1273 401950 

Making a claim with AIG

Please contact if making a claim. Do not go to AIG directly. You can download the form for making a claim Insurance Claim Form (PDF, 96 KB) .

Insurance at our partner universities 

Please note host universities may insist that you purchase their campus health insurance. This is common for most of our North American, Australian, and Asian partners. 

The following partners are not able to accept AIG cover and so you must purchase additional insurance (often this will be offered by the partner institution):

  • UC San Diego
  • UC Santa Cruz
  • UC Santa Barbara
  • University of Virginia
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • UNC Chapel Hill, USA
  • Purdue University, USA
  • Queen’s University, Canada
  • University of Toronto
  • Western University
  • University of British Columbia, Vancouver
  • Keio University, Japan
  • Renmin University, China
  • University of Auckland

Please note that this list is subject to change on a yearly basis and that you should check with the partner institution for full details. 

Please refer to our partner webpages for specific insurance information.

We also recommned that you download the AIG App which has helpful country guides. 

Health insurance in Europe

For local healthcare in most EU and EEA countries, the EHIC remains a valid option for cover as long as it is valid at the time of travel, or is new when travelling to certain countries.

The UK government has a new healthcare scheme - the GHIC card in operation now which will be provided for new applications in most cases and provides the same sort of cover as the EHIC. Either a valid existing EHIC, or a new EHIC or GHIC provides the cover you need, depending on the destination country - please note that there are some exceptions, in particular for Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland where personal healthcare insurance may be necessary.

Full details by country are outlined on the UK government healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU, EEA and Switzerland website. Please take care to review the specific requirements for the country to which you are travelling, noting the particular requirements for Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Switzerland, Spain and Ireland.