International Foundation programme
This is the University’s own pre-degree programme which prepares international students for undergraduate study in the UK, and at the University of St Andrews in particular.
Seven months full time
Start date: 16 January 2020
End date: 14 August 2020
This course is for students who:
- are designated 'overseas’ by the University for fees purposes (not ‘Home/EU’ or ‘Rest of the UK’)
- are academically able but whose high school qualification is not recognised for application to an undergraduate degree at the University of St Andrews. Students with qualifications recognised for degree entry, including A Levels, the IB and APs, will not be considered for a foundation programme unless their combination of subjects prevents them from meeting degree entry requirements
- are due to leave school soon or have left school within the past 18 months
- have not previously studied on a foundation programme in the UK
- have not previously studied at university
Do I need to have studied this subject before?
Applicants must have studied sciences at school and be able to offer strong grades in any subjects that are relevant to their intended degree. For example, Maths if you wish to study Computer Science.
You should have good school leaving qualifications from your home country with an A grade average, or more than 85%, or a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (depending on your curriculum).
Typical academic requirements (PDF) for this programme are listed alphabetically by country. If your qualification is not shown here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org about the grades needed from your high school system.
You can demonstrate that you have met the academic requirement with a high school transcript from your final year at school. Any high school qualification you use as evidence of your academic ability should be dated within the previous two years.
You should apply before your final results are available, as the University can make you a conditional offer based on your past exam performance and predicted grades.
English language requirement
An IELTS (Academic) test report form with a minimum of 6.0 overall and no component score below 5.0.
If you require a visa, your IELTS test must be for UKVI purposes. See an overview of our English language requirements for foundation applicants.
You do not need to have your result when you apply, as this can be a condition of any offer made by the University.
The University requires you to provide the following documents as part of your application:
- your most recent high school transcript
- a personal statement outlining why you wish to study Science at St Andrews and reflecting on your life and learning experiences to explain why you feel you would be successful on this programme
- an academic reference from your high school on their letterhead, or from a school email
- your IELTS (Academic) test report form.
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2019. You must provide your most recent high school transcript and personal statement when you first apply so that the University can consider your application. Your academic reference and your English language evidence can be provided later.
How to apply