Postgraduate; leading to a Master of Letters (MLitt)
- Start date: 7 September 2020
- End date: 30 September 2021
If you started this programme in 2019, you can find information about 2019 entry on the 2019 Creative Writing page. Information about all programmes from previous years of entry can be found in the archive.
One year full time
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree. Exceptionally, a candidate who demonstrates outstanding writing abilities may be accepted on the basis of an equivalent qualification (e.g. a body of published work or a relevant professional qualification), but such cases are at the discretion of staff and require decanal approval.
- If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
UK and EU: £9,450
31 January 2020 for those also applying for School of English scholarships; 1 June 2020 for all other applicants. Applicants should apply as early as possible for international visa purposes.
- Supplementary application to School of English (Word)
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date
- academic critical essay on an English literature topic (approximately 2,000 words)
- portfolio of original verse (10 poems) or prose (10 to 15 pages)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
For more guidance, see supporting documents and references for postgraduate taught programmes.