Register with a doctor

The University strongly encourages students to register with the local NHS (National Health Service) primary care facility. This is based at the local community hospital (approximately 20 minutes’ walk from the centre of town) and houses two medical practices. The doctors (general practitioners or GPs) run a comprehensive primary care service, assisted by teams of nurses and healthcare advisors. Representatives from both medical practices will be available during Matriculation at the Gateway building. Please bring your completed registration forms with you when you register.

Short-term study students

Exchange and study abroad students who are at the University of St Andrews for one semester and do not have a Tier 4 visa may be charged for any NHS medical treatment received, so it is important to ensure you obtain medical insurance before travelling to the UK.

Although you will be unable to register with a medical practice on arrival, you will be able to request consultations with a general practitioner (GP) as required. Depending on the practice, the current charge is between £95 to £104.50 for the initial consultation and any prescription which is issued. Thereafter, further consultations will be between £50 to £55.

Alternatively, students may wish to consult the private GP in St Andrews, whose charges are currently £80 per consultation.


The MenACWY vaccine

Meningitis and septicaemia (blood poisoning) are rare but life-threatening diseases. They are caused by several groups of meningococcal bacteria – the most common types are A, B, C, W and Y. New university students are at high risk of infection because many of them mix closely with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria.

For more information please go to Immunisation Scotland or NHS inform.

Students coming to University for the first time, including overseas and mature students up to the age of 25, should contact their healthcare professional to have the MenACWY vaccine before arriving in St Andrews. Students who have previously been vaccinated against Meningitis C are encouraged to get the MenACWY vaccination, as they will also be protected against the other three meningococcal groups (A, W and Y).

MMR vaccine

You should also have had the full double dose of MMR vaccine to protect from Measles, Mumps and Rubella. If you have not had both doses then you should contact your health practitioner to arrange this before leaving to come to St Andrews. If unable to access the vaccine, you may be able to access it from our St Andrews doctors, but we have a very limited stock for new students and you will be charged for the service.

Students are free to register with either of the two practices; however, for administrative purposes you are encouraged to register according to your family name. You will always be able to change practices without prejudice if you’re not happy at a later date.

Family name begins withMedical practicePhone
A - Nt Pipeland Medical Practice 01334 476840
Nu - Z Blackfriars Medical Practice 01334 477477

You are encouraged to download and complete the new patient registration form (PDF) and student medical questionnaire (Word) and take a copy to the practice when you go to register. You will remain registered at the practice until you graduate from the University.

If you have an existing health condition, you may wish to contact your allocated GP practice before you arrive in St Andrews to discuss the transition of your medical care.

Medical documents

In order to register with a doctor, all students must bring with them their student ID and proof of their term time address:


  1. A letter from your doctor or physician from your home area detailing:
    • medical conditions experienced over the past year
    • medical conditions from birth which could have relevance to current health
    • any current medication
    • any current treatment plans
    • any adverse reactions to past medication
    • any allergies
    • a full immunisation history.

  2. You should bring at least three months’ supply of any medication you are on. If you are an international student, you should check that this medication is registered and licensed for use in the UK before you arrive. If your medication is not permitted in the UK, you should get advice from your doctor at home about what alternatives you could access. You should call the practice in St Andrews which you wish to join if you require advice prior to arrival in the UK.