The Planning unit ensures coherence and collaboration across the institution to inform and strengthen strategic decision making. Planning provide professional expertise for planning, external policy and data analysis, management information provision, timetabling and risk management. The unit delivers its services across three functional areas: Analytical services; Timetabling; and Risk, Resilience and Insurance.
The unit engages with all stakeholders to catalyse and inform the strategic delivery of institutional priorities, aims and objectives through a professional service underpinned by a collaborative and a co-ordinated approach. Service delivery is enabled by access to robust and accurate data sources, continuously updated expertise and knowledge and relevant internal collaboration.
Planning core values include:
- delivering a professional and expert service in all activities and communications, conducting business to the highest standards, with neutrality and integrity and by working flexibly to ensure stakeholder needs are met
- operating in an environment of respect and inclusion, fostering a culture of cross-team working and continuous learning and training
- maximising institutional opportunities by engaging with external stakeholders to inform debates and influence developments, and encourage best practice across the sector.
- encouraging all staff to identify and exploit opportunities for professional development
Planning is lead by Laura Knox, Director of Planning.
General enquiriesEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 7350
- Data Analysis: analysis of management information data including students and staff to inform planning and strategy
- Policy Analysis: analysis and contextualisation of sector reports, data publications and policy updates
- League Tables and Benchmarking: analysis, monitoring and liaison with league table providers. Benchmarking using HESA Performance Indicators and other available data
- Equality and Diversity: providing staff and student data and analysis in support of statutory duties, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion developments, and award submissions
- Student Number Planning: entrant target setting, widening participation strategy assistance, market insights
- Management Information Provision: management information, and other ad-hoc data requests. Collaboration with the Business Intelligence Team to develop and maintain dashboards
- Student Surveys: hosting and analysis of a wide range of internal and external surveys, including the National Student Survey, iGrad, and postgraduate surveys
- Statutory Data Returns: strategic oversight, quality assurance and understanding the onward uses of returns in the public domain, including HESA, SFC and OfS returns
- construct and publish teaching timetables for staff and students
- manage the Syllabus Plus database and the online Web Room Booking (WRB) system
- provide support and database assistance for timetabling staff and Syllabus Plus users in Schools and units
- advise on and make room bookings for non-teaching activities for University staff
- work to ensure effective and efficient utilisation of teaching space and resources
- work closely with the curriculum team on the timetabling implications of curriculum proposals
- consult with Estates with regards to development programmes and space utilisation surveys
- deliver excellent customer service to staff and students alike
- corporate risk management, operational risk projects, training
- crisis management, disaster recovery and business continuity planning
- incident debriefs and learning, exercises and testing, training
- insurance services: placement of all University insurances, insurance advice, data collection, insurance legal compliance
The Analytical Services team support the planning function across the institution through the supply of appropriate and timely policy and data analysis, and management information provision.
Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 7350
The timetabling services team, part of the Planning unit, has responsibility for the creation and maintenance of a centrally held timetable for each academic year based on modular, curricular and school requirements and facility constraints.
The timetabling services team:
Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 3099
Responsible for facilitating:
Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 2465