Skip navigation to content

Payment of student expenses

If you are a matriculated student at the University of St Andrews then you should claim back expenses using a Student Travel and Subsistence Form (Word, 66 KB)   Please ensure that you provide your full name and matriculation number.

Expense claim forms should be used to claim back expenses incurred in association with your studies only.  They should not be used to claim money for Any work done.   

Receipts must be provided for all items claimed and expenses will only be reimbursed in line with the Expenses Policy (PDF, 957 KB).

The form should be signed by the claimant before passing it to the appropriate School/Unit to be authorised . The claim should then be sent to the Accounts Payable office for processing.

Payment will then be made by BACS transfer.  Please complete your bank details online  so that they can be validated and payment can be processed directly into the nominated UK bank account.

If you do not have a UK bank account please contact the Accounts Payable team to request payment in to a foreign account.  Please note that foreign transfers will be subject to a charge. 

Student Advances

Students at the University may be eligible to claim for an advance if they are required to pay out large sums of money before actually travelling.  To claim an advance students must fill out an expense claim form but clearly mark on this that they are requesting an advance.  The form should be signed and passed to the appropriate School/Unit for authorisation. 

On returning from your trip you should complete another student claim form detailing what the funds were spent on and all receipts should be attached.  Please ensure that you clearly mark on the top of the form that you have already received an advance.  The difference in funds received to those spent should then be returned to the University or will be paid to you.

Please note that any student who does not submit a form and receipts proving what they have spent the funds on can be subject to having any scholarship or future exPenses withheld until this is completed.

If you have any queries regarding student expenses or advances please contact the Accounts Payable team.



Accounts Payable

Finance Operations Team
Walter Bower House, Guardbridge
St Andrews
KY16 0US
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 46 3094