Online surveys or questionnaires
This page contains information on selecting an appropriate platform for an online survey or questionnaire and how to ensure that:
- participants are given appropriate project information
- participants have the opportunity to ask questions should they wish
- participants' consent is obtained.
Selecting a platform
The University recommends Qualtrics as an online survey and questionnaire platform for research and encourages researchers to use it. The University has a licence for Qualtrics, meaning it is free to use for all those with a University login.
Current staff and students can access their account by going to the University of St Andrews Qualtrics site and using their University login details. Within Qualtrics, a range of training materials on how to use the software are provided.
Participant information and consent
Before participating in a project, participants should always be provided with a participant information sheet that they can keep and provided with an opportunity to ask questions about the project should they wish. You must obtain their consent to participate.
When using online surveys or questionnaires to collect data, researchers should:
- Provide an initial page before their survey starts, which contains a brief summary of the project, their contact details, and a downloadable participant information sheet.
- Provide a final page containing a ‘Submit’ button, prefaced by a statement reminding the participant that clicking the final ‘Submit’ button of the survey at the end will constitute the participant providing consent to participate, in full knowledge of the information in the participant information sheet.
Example statements for both of these pages is provided below. The template participant information sheet is provided on the template documents web page.