Distinguished visiting scholar programme
The distinguished visiting scholar (DVS) programme brings world leading academics to the School of Classics. Initially designed on a two-year rotation, it is now an annual highlight of the School’s research activity. Each visit is different, but typically the DVS is in St Andrews for up to a week. During their stay, they meet with staff and postgraduates to discuss common research interests, present a seminar paper, and co-host a workshop or similar event on a theme of their choosing.
- 2021 Professor Ineke Sluiter (Leiden)
- 2019 Professor Martin Revermann (Toronto)
- 2018 Professor Suzanne Marchand (Louisiana State)
- 2017 Professor Kim Bowes (American Academy in Rome)
- 2016 Professor John Oakley (William and Mary)
- 2015 Professor Denis Feeney (Princeton)
- 2014 Professor Joshua Ober (Stanford)
- 2013 Professor Nicolas Purcell (Oxford)
- 2012 Professor Shadi Bartsch-Zimmer (Chicago)
- 2008 Professor Ralph Rosen (Penn)
The 2020 DVS visits were cancelled due to COVID-19.