Our 15-minute careers advice appointments can help you with any aspect of your current or future career aspirations, including help with applying for postgraduate study. You do not need to know what you want to do before you meet with an adviser – the Careers Centre sees students at every stage of their career journey.
Appointments are designed to be collaborative, and careers advisers will work with you to meet your goals. Our advisers are always up-to-date with current recruitment practices and trends, and they have good relationships with graduate employers.
What to expect
A careers advice appointment lasts 15 minutes. During your appointment, the careers adviser can support you with things like:
- writing a personal statement for postgraduate applications
- gaining information about potential careers
- searching for work experience, internships, and graduate job opportunities
- discovering postgraduate study options
- preparing for interviews (for in-depth help, you should book a practice interview appointment)
- improving job applications
- finding useful contacts
- preparing for psychometric tests
- preparing for assessment centres (you can also refer to our assessment centres webpage for further advice)
- choosing the right modules for your preferred career
- referring you for a longer, 30-minute careers guidance appointment.
How to prepare
It may be helpful before a Careers Appointment to think about what stage of the Career Journey you are in and what you may need to move to the next stage. You might find it useful to look at the advice on the Careers Centre website, which has lots of information to help you identify and explore different career options:
If you have a specific opportunity in mind, you should come to the meeting prepared to discuss it. You can upload a CV, personal statement, job description (or link to the vacancy) or other documents when you book your appointment.
How to book
You can book an appointment using CareerConnect. After you book, the appointment confirmation will be sent to the email address you used to log in to CareerConnect.
Appointments are currently held through Microsoft Teams, or in-person.
Please note, careers appointment slots are made available at 6pm the evening before. For example, appointment slots for a Monday are made available from 6pm on a Sunday.
You can book two careers advice appointments per week.
How to cancel an appointment
Demand for appointments is high. Please cancel any appointment you are unable to attend through CareerConnect. If you do not attend your appointment within five minutes of the start time, the Careers Adviser will not proceed with the appointment.