The Careers Centre offers appointments to help you with any aspect of your current or future career aspirations, including help with applying for postgraduate study.
No matter what stage you’re at, the Careers Centre’s professionally trained careers advisers can support you. Appointments are designed to be collaborative, and careers advisers will work with you to meet your goals.
What to expect
A careers advice appointment lasts 15 minutes. During your appointment, the careers adviser can support you with things like:
- writing a personal statement for postgraduate applications
- gaining information about potential careers
- searching for work experience, internships, and graduate job opportunities
- discovering postgraduate study options
- preparing for interviews (for in-depth help, you should book an interview coaching appointment)
- improving job applications
- finding useful contacts
- preparing for psychometric tests
- choosing the right modules for your preferred career
- creating and improving a CV, cover letter or LinkedIn profile (outside semester-time only). For help during the semester, you can book a CV, cover letter or LinkedIn appointment. Advisers will only be able to look at one CV, personal statement or LinkedIn profile per appointment.
- referring you for a longer, 45-minute careers guidance appointment.
How to prepare
To make the most of your appointment, think about what stage you are at and the questions you would like to ask. You might find it helpful to look at the advice on the Careers Centre website, which has lots of information to help you identify and explore different career options:
If you have a specific opportunity in mind, you should come to the meeting prepared to discuss it. You can upload a CV, personal statement, job description (or link to the vacancy) or other documents when you book your appointment.
Advisers will only review what you upload during the appointment, not in advance.
How to book
You can book an appointment using CareerConnect. After you book, the appointment confirmation will be sent to the email address you used to log in to CareerConnect.
Appointments are currently held through Microsoft Teams, or in-person.
Appointments are available Monday to Friday and are bookable from 6pm (UK time) the day before.
You can book two careers advice appointments per week.
How to cancel an appointment
Demand for appointments is high. Please cancel any appointment you are unable to attend through CareerConnect. If you do not attend your appointment within five minutes of the start time, you will be marked as absent.