Postgraduate, leading to a Master of Science (MSc)
- Start date: 6 September 2021
- End date: 30 September 2022
Information about all programmes from previous years of entry can be found in the archive.
One year full time
- A first or upper 2.1 (Honours) undergraduate degree in a relevant natural science. Applications are welcome from students with backgrounds in biology or marine science, and also from students of physics and engineering. If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- Training in advanced mathematics and statistics (at least to UK school AS/A-level, Higher, International Baccalaureate or equivalent).
- Very good baseline IT skills including word-processing, spreadsheet use, email and internet.
- English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications. If you require a visa to study, see visas information.
Please contact the School if you are unsure about your qualifications.
In addition to the above minimum requirements, it is highly desirable for applicants to have:
- relevant field or lab experience from previous employment, project or volunteer work
- further IT skills, e.g. programming, database software and statistical packages for analysing (such as MATLAB, SPSS, SAS or R)
- dedicated calculus or statistics modules at university level.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
Friday 30 July 2021. Applicants should apply as early as possible to be eligible for certain scholarships and for international visa purposes.
For more guidance, see supporting documents and references for postgraduate taught programmes.