English language requirements for postgraduate students

You can use any of the following options to demonstrate your English language proficiency:

  • proof that you are a national of one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception
  • UK Bachelor's degree
  • a qualification equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree from one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception.

Bachelor's degrees taught through the medium of English from countries which are not listed as Tier 4 exceptions will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Students who cannot provide any of the evidence above will need to submit a valid English language test from this list:

    • IELTS (Academic)
    • IELTS (Academic) for UKVI purposes
    • PTE Academic
    • CPE 
    • CAE
    • TOEFL iBT (internet-based test)
    • Trinity ISE II.

If you receive an offer for postgraduate study that is conditional on attending a pre-sessional course, and you need a Tier 4 visa, the English language evidence you must provide is IELTS (Academic) for UKVI. See minimum English language requirements for pre-sessional courses.

Providing your English language evidence

Evidence of your English language ability can be submitted through the applicant portal. If you do not have evidence available when you submit your application, this will form part of any conditional offer made by the University and:

  • you will be expected to provide the evidence at a later date
  • you may be required to attend a pre-sessional course.