English language requirements for postgraduate students
Latest updates to language requirements for 2020 entry
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the University have reviewed their postgraduate English language requirements. These are the latest updates:
Monday 27 April 2020
1. Three online English language tests have been added to the approved list of tests that you can present as evidence of your English language ability: Duolingo English Test (DET), LanguageCert International ESOL and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition.
2. Students who require a Tier 4 student visa and cannot obtain a Secure English Language Test (SELT) due to the COVID-19 disruption to testing in their country, can submit an equivalent score from other English tests.
Friday 20 March 2020
Requirements for Computer Science, Economics and Finance, International Relations, Management, and Mathematics and Statistics were updated on 20 March 2020.
The requirements on this page are relevant for postgraduate applicants for 2020 entry. See more details below.
You can use any of the following options to demonstrate your English language proficiency:
- proof that you are a national of one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception
- a UK Bachelor's degree with at least the final year taught in the UK
- a qualification equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree from one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception, with at least the final year of the qualification taught in a Tier 4 exception country.
Bachelor's or Master's degrees taught through the medium of English from countries which are not listed as Tier 4 exceptions may also be considered as evidence of English language ability if both of the following conditions are met:
- The web presence of the awarding institution clearly evidences a substantial number of degree programmes taught through the medium of English.
- The awarding institution is prominent in international university rankings.
Students who cannot provide any of the evidence above will need to submit a valid English language test from this list:
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- IELTS (Academic)
- IELTS (Academic) for UKVI purposes
- LanguageCert International ESOL (online and face-to-face tests)
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based test)
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
- Trinity ISE II
Pre-sessional course as a condition of your offer
If you receive an offer for postgraduate study that is conditional on attending a pre-sessional course, please see the minimum English language requirements for pre-sessional courses.
Providing your English language evidence
Evidence of your English language ability can be submitted through the applicant portal. If you do not have evidence available when you submit your application, this will form part of any conditional offer made by the University and:
- you will be expected to provide the evidence at a later date
- you may be required to attend a pre-sessional course.