English language requirements for postgraduate students
Requirements for 2020 entry
The requirements listed below are relevant for applicants for 2020 entry. Please note that the requirements for Computer Science, Economics and Finance, International Relations, Management, and Mathematics and Statistics were updated on 20 March 2020.
You can use any of the following options to demonstrate your English language proficiency:
- proof that you are a national of one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception
- a UK Bachelor's degree with at least the final year taught in the UK
- a qualification equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree from one of the countries listed as a Tier 4 exception, with at least the final year of the qualification taught in a Tier 4 exception country.
Bachelor's or Master's degrees taught through the medium of English from countries which are not listed as Tier 4 exceptions may also be considered as evidence of English language ability if both of the following conditions are met:
- The web presence of the awarding institution clearly evidences a substantial number of degree programmes taught through the medium of English.
- The awarding institution is prominent in international university rankings.
Students who cannot provide any of the evidence above will need to submit a valid English language test from this list:
- IELTS (Academic)
- IELTS (Academic) for UKVI purposes
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based test)
- Trinity ISE II.
If you receive an offer for postgraduate study that is conditional on attending a pre-sessional course, please see the minimum English language requirements for pre-sessional courses.
Providing your English language evidence
Evidence of your English language ability can be submitted through the applicant portal. If you do not have evidence available when you submit your application, this will form part of any conditional offer made by the University and:
- you will be expected to provide the evidence at a later date
- you may be required to attend a pre-sessional course.