Humboldt-Universität Zu Humboldt (Humboldt University of Berlin), Germany

Humboldt University of Berlin in Germany focuses on uniting research and teaching, and providing a comprehensive education for students. The University has a world-renowned Arts and Humanities department.

Humboldt University of Berlin website

Who can go?

Postgraduate research students in the School of Philosophy.

There is currently a limit of two postgraduate research students per semester.

How to apply

Students interested in studying at the Humboldt University of Berlin will need approval from their supervisor. Students are selected on the basis of subject suitability with their own research programme.

Please contact the School of Philosophy at for more information.

Current students can contact study abroad coordinators to find out more. 

Your studies

The academic year at the Humboldt University of Berlin is divided into two semesters:

  • Winter term: mid-October to the end of February
  • Summer term: mid-April to mid-July.

Students are issued with a personal Humboldt University email address and have full access to the University network (HUgo), library facilities, computer rooms and study areas.

Passports and visas

EU citizens do not need a visa to enter Germany to study. If you are a non-EU citizen, please refer to Humboldt University of Berlin’s visa information.

You should ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your trip, and for at least six months after you return to the UK. You should scan your passport and keep a copy for your records.

If you are a European Union national, you will not require a visa and may enter the European Union countries with your passport or national identity card. Please note that you may have to comply with legal obligations, such as registering your address with the local authorities.

If you are an international student who has a visa to study in the UK, and you have any questions about the implications of studying or working abroad whilst matriculated at St Andrews, you should consult Student Services by emailing You can also check the passports and visas page for further information.

About the University

Between the all-encompassing orientation programme, the Humboldt University of Berlin and the continuing social activities throughout the year, you are sure to feel like a welcome member of the ‘HU family’.

Each semester, the International Office takes 50 exchange students to a German city as the culminating event of Integration Week. In the past the team have visited Weimar, Hamburg, Leipzig, and Lübeck.


As an exchange student, you will not pay tuition fees to your host university, and will only be liable for your normal St Andrews tuition fees.

Research Council students should make sure that they have their funding body’s permission to study abroad, notifying them particularly for any mobility grants that they may be receiving.

The Humboldt University of Berlin provides information about the estimated costs of living in Berlin. You will be responsible for meeting any additional costs accruing from accommodation, food, travel, etc.


University accommodation is a possibility for incoming students through Studentdorf Adleshof and Studierendenwerk's student dormitories, provided that they apply by the published deadlines. Due to high demand, accommodation is not guaranteed.

The Humboldt University of Berlin provides information for students looking for private accommodation in Berlin.

Find out more about accommodation options at the Humboldt University of Berlin.

Travel and transport

Berlin can be reached by air from two airports: Tegel and Schönefeld. From Tegel, a bus service will take you into Berlin within 30 to 40 minutes. Schönefeld is a smaller airport, only 11km from East Berlin. Travelling by train from this airport is the best way to reach the city centre. The Airport Express train runs to Mitte and Berlin Hauptbahnhof (Berlin’s central station) every 30 minutes.

Around Berlin

Berlin has a robust public transport system, which consists of U-Bahn trains (underground), S-Bahn trains (overground), buses, trams and taxis.

One of the best ways to travel around the city is by bicycle. Berlin is a flat city with lots of dedicated cycle paths. Visitors have the opportunity to rent or buy a new or second-hand bicycle.

Student support

The Humboldt University of Berlin offers a range of student support services, from general study counselling to psychological counselling. There is also confidential counselling for students with disabilities and chronic illness.

See the full range of student support services at the University.

The Humboldt University of Berlin offers a free German language course, which students can register for. Courses are offered at three levels: intermediate, upper-intermediate, advanced. There are also and specific courses for students of German literature and linguistics.


Global Office
University of St Andrews
Bute Building
Westburn Lane
St Andrews
KY16 9TS

Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 2245