Facilities and services
The School houses a number of advanced research facilities supporting research and impact activities in astrophysics, photonics and condensed matter physics.
Several of these facilities are available to external users, and the School welcomes enquiries from external researchers and from industry.
Clean room fabrication facilities
- electron-beam lithography
- photonic nanofabrication
- OLED and thin film photovoltaic fabrication
Centre for Designer Quantum Materials
- MBE growth of oxides and chalcogenides
- cryogenic STM spectroscopy in the School's ultralow vibration laboratories
- on-site helium liquifier
- James Gregory Telescope
- SUPAscopes – three robotic telescopes within the Las Cumbres Observatory Global Network
- pulsed and continuous-wave electron paramagnetic resonance in X, Q and W-bands
- mechanical workshop with advanced machining capabilities (including the Sodick Technology Hub)
- electronics workshop