Skip navigation to content

Mode of Attendance Change (Research PG Students)

What is a mode of attendance (MoA) change?

You have a "mode of attendance" of either full-time or part-time study. In some cases, it is possible to change this if your circumstances change.

If you are considering a change in your MoA, it is important to seek advice from your supervisor in the first instance, as there may be funding or contractual reasons why this is not possible.

For further advice about the implications of changing your MoA, please make sure to contact the Registry Officer (Research Student Support) at

How do I change my MoA?

Please email the Registry Officer (Research Student Support) at, stating your request and the date from which you wish the change to commence. Your School will need to support your request in writing.

Normally, it is not possible to change your MoA more than once during your studies, neither during the last year of your studies.

Any request for a change in your MoA requires formal approval from the Associate Provost (PGR). If approved, Registry will send formal notification.

Important points to note:

  • Research Councils have strict rules regarding changes in MoA and advice must be taken from Registry. If you are funded by a different body, you need to check if a different Mode of Attendance is allowed by them. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to check carefully the terms of any loan, scholarship, bursary or sponsorship you are receiving as part of your study, and whether they will be affected by a change to a different Mode of Attendance.
  • If you are an overseas student with a Student visa, it is not possible to study part-time.  Your visa has been issued based upon your full-time study. Therefore, if you are not studying full-time, your visa is invalid.  All questions regarding visas and immigration should be directed to the International Student Adviser (
  • Part-time students are not normally offered accommodation in University Residences. Please contact Student Accommodation for further information.
  • As a part-time student, you will be required to pay Council Tax. However, you may claim Council Tax Benefits based on your income.

Related links:

Research Postgraduate Policies

Online/Part time study