In 2018, the Fitzwilliam String Quartet became the University of St Andrews' quartet in residence, after many successful visits to the University to perform and work with students over the previous ten years. The quartet's work at the University includes the following:
- regular 'side-by-side' performances alongside University string players
- an annual concert as part of the St Andrews Concert Series
- teaching, coaching and mentoring of University string players
- leading the orchestra for productions by Byre Opera: 2022's production was Pelleas and Melisande
- a highly popular annual chamber music course, Strings in Spring, during which the quartet works with visiting amateur and student string players from across the UK.
For future years of the residency, the quartet plans further initiatives including the following:
- an annual retreat for University string players and ensembles at the Burn House in Edzell
- an annual course exploring aspects of period performance.
Lucy Russell, the quartet's leader, is also the University's Honorary Professor of Violin and visits every semester to teach advanced string players and coach scholarship quartets.