The School of English is happy to hear from researchers interested in holding externally funded fellowships at the University of St Andrews.
The School offers support and collaboration with renowned researchers in its research groups and ongoing impact projects. To express an interest in a funding scheme, please contact both the Director of Research (Dr Tom Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Research Administrator (Laura Cameron-Mackintosh, email@example.com), enclosing a CV (including the names of two referees), cover letter and a separate outline of your proposed research interests and area.
When assessing your expression of interest for support, the School considers:
- your track record
- the research that you propose to carry out and where that fits within the School strategy
- your career stage, experience and why you would benefit from this fellowship at this stage in your career.
The School was awarded an Athena SWAN Bronze Award in December 2019 and seeks to promote the fair treatment of all staff and students irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, belief, disability, pregnancy and maternity or relationship status.
University of St Andrews fellowship schemes
The University offers the following fellowship opportunities in English:
- Fleeman Fellowship - the School of English is pleased to invite applications for an award of up to £10,000 to support a visiting scholar wishing to carry out research in 18th century literature and culture at St Andrews during 2023-2024.
- Global Fellowship Scheme - prestigious awards to enable talented scholars from around the globe to spend anywhere between one week to a month at St Andrews.
External fellowship schemes
The School will consider supporting exceptional candidates in a range of schemes including:
- British Academy fellowships for early career researchers and established scholars, for international visitors and for UK-based academics
- fellowships from the European Research Commission (ERC).