This page offers guidelines for naming files (e.g. PDFs, Word documents, Excel documents, etc.) that will be made available for download by end-users. Filenames for code can be found in the appropriate code standards.
Files must be named in a consistent way according to the guidelines below. This will ensure they are web safe.
- Use only lowercase letters (a to z), numerals (0 to 9), and hyphens (-).
- Do not use special characters (e.g. á, ê, ï, õ, ù) or other punctuation marks, including underscores (_).
- Do not use spaces. Instead, use hyphens in place of spaces to delimit words.
- Do not include dates or version numbers in filenames.
Filenames must be short, meaningful and descriptive.
- Guidance notes for direct applicants.pdf
The digital communications team reserves the right to change (or request changes to) filenames if they do not meet digital best practice.