Research staff careers appointments
Early-career contract research staff can meet with a careers adviser to discuss a variety of career-related issues.
What to expect
Appointments last 45 minutes. During your appointment, the careers adviser can support you with several career issues, such as:
- career planning and decision-making
- exploring, comparing and deciding upon career options within and outside of academia
- finding job opportunities within and outside of academia
- identifying and exploring further postgraduate study options
- developing your network, including finding useful contacts and LinkedIn advice
- improving CVs, cover letters, job applications and personal statements (please ensure you bring a copy to the appointment)
- preparing for interviews
- preparing for recruitment processes, including psychometric tests.
How to prepare
To make the most of your research staff careers appointment, take some time to reflect and complete the mandatory questions when booking your appointment. This will help both you and the adviser to draw out the key topics for discussion. To help with this, you should consider:
- your current work situation and whether there is anything you would like to change
- specific questions you would like to discuss, for example around career planning or recruitment processes
- reviewing your career path up to this point – what have you enjoyed most and why?
- which contract or job has given you the most satisfaction
- what are your most important priorities for your next job.
How to book
You can book an appointment using CareerConnect.
If this is your first time using CareerConnect, you must create a 'University Staff Member' account. Register online for a staff member account.
If you already have an account set up, simply log in to CareerConnect.
In your account, you will be able to view available research staff careers appointments. These are offered on a weekly basis and are bookable up to two months in advance, but no later than three days in advance.
Early career contract research staff are able to book two research staff careers appointments per semester.
After you book an appointment, one of the careers advisers (either Dr Philip Ireland or Dr Julie McLellan) will contact you. They will let you know if they need further information from you before your appointment. You will be sent a Microsoft Teams meeting inviting you to your 45-minute appointment.
How to cancel an appointment
Demand for appointments is high. Please cancel any appointment you are unable to attend through CareerConnect. If you do not attend your appointment within fifteen minutes of the start time, you will be marked as absent.