Coronavirus information and guidance

Integrated year abroad German MA (Hons) 2021 entry

It is possible for students applying for the MA (Hons) in German to study or work abroad in a German-speaking country between their second and third year of study. This adds an extra year to the MA (Hons) course, making it a total of five years in length.

Students who spend a year abroad not only gain valuable work experience as teachers and tutors, but also develop their linguistic skills, intercultural competence, and self-confidence. 

UK students are usually placed in a school through the British Council’s Language Assistantship scheme. At present, the programme is not expected to be affected by the UK withdrawal from the EU, and as such, it is anticipated that it will remain an option. Successful applicants go on to teach English at a school, college or university in Germany or Austria. Assistants are paid a salary locally, and, after attending a basic induction course in teaching resources and methods, are typically required to teach for 12 hours per week under the supervision of local staff at the educational institution employing them.

However, you can organise an alternative work placement with the approval of the German Department. Previous students have worked in art galleries, publishing houses and various businesses. For example, the Department of German at St Andrews has a translation internship agreement with VW at Wolfsburg.

The year abroad experience is competitive and is not guaranteed. Places are granted on merit during the second year of study and do not take into account the initial UCAS application. If students are unsuccessful with their year abroad application, they will be moved to the four-year German MA single Honours degree programme.

To find out more information, please contact the Department of German.  


Department of German
School of Modern Languages
University of St Andrews
Buchanan Building
Union Street
St Andrews
KY16 9PH

Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 3670

Department of German

Entry requirements

The entry requirements for German with a year abroad are the same as the German MA (Hons) degree. However, to be eligible for German with a year abroad, students must gain Honours entry in all subjects that they intend on taking at Honours level. Students who do not achieve entry to Honours-level in their chosen subjects must withdraw from their selected year abroad destination at that point.

Beginners in German are normally expected to spend a year abroad in Germany in order to advance to Honours years (fourth and fifth year). If you are a beginner in German and another language (through a joint degree), please consult your year abroad coordinators in both departments.

UCAS code


Degree type

Master of Arts (Honours) with integrated year abroad

Course duration

Five years full time

  • Start date: 6 September 2021
  • End date: 30 June 2026

How to apply

Course information

The MA (Hons) in German with an integrated year abroad follows the same course structure as the German MA (Hons) degree, with the addition of a year abroad in between second and third years of study.

During the integrated year abroad, students are required to take the following compulsory module:

  • German Integrated Year Abroad: language learning and cultural familiarisation through a work placement in a German-speaking country. Placements will be as language assistants in schools or on other assignments approved by the Department.

More information about the German modules currently on offer can be found in the module catalogue.

Find out more about studying German at St Andrews.

Discover Uni

Discover Uni provides official statistics about higher education courses taken from national surveys and data collected from universities and colleges about all their students. You can use this data to compare information for different degree programmes to help you make a decision about what and where to study.