Independent postdoctoral fellowship opportunities
The School of History offers a supportive and collaborative environment for early career scholars to develop their research careers. A prestigious independent fellowship offers scholars the chance to develop their research profile and become a research leader. The School is keen to support fellowship applications from outstanding individuals for independent fellowships.
If you are interested in any of these schemes, the first step is to contact a potential mentor at St Andrews (see our staff list), and seek their support of your application. Your mentor will then be able to guide you through the process of securing the necessary ‘letter of support’ or ‘invitation letter’ from the School in conjunction with the Director of Research.
Queries and applications can be directed to the Director of Research by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For certain schemes, there is an internal selection process either within the School of History, or within the School and the University. Information about deadlines for those schemes is below.
When assessing your expression of interest for support, the School considers:
- your track record
- the research that you propose to carry out and where that fits within the School strategy
- your career stage, experience and why you would benefit from this fellowship at this stage in your career.
As part of its policy, the School actively promotes the fair treatment of all staff and students irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, belief, disability, pregnancy and maternity or relationship status. The School of History holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and encourages expressions of interest from highly motivated candidates of any self-identifying group.
- Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships: our internal deadline for preliminary applications is 4pm on 16 December 2020. Applicants should submit a draft of their Leverhulme application form, including the sections listed here.
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships: for round 6 (deadline 19 January 2021), the University deadline for Schools to put forward a candidate is 29 October 2020; and the School of History internal deadline is 15 October 2020. More information can be found on the St Andrews UKRI fellowship page.
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships: for candidates who wish to be supported by the School of History in the 2020-21 competition, our internal deadline is 7 September 2020. Applicants should submit an ''expression of interest' form (Word), and ask their proposed mentors to send a brief email (not a full reference) by the same date, confirming their willingness to support you.
- Marie Curie independent fellowships: internal deadline is 3 August 2020. Submit a draft proposal (without the ‘institutional’ sections).
There is currently no internal deadline for Wellcome Trust: contact your potential mentor.