About the School of Computer Science
The School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of the Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance (SICSA).
The School is home to a top-class group of researchers with interests in a wide range of areas of theoretical and practical computer science. All academic staff are research active, working with a team of postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers and a lively population of research students.
See the research section for further information on research activities in the School.
The School offers BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes. The School is active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering.
For further information on the degree programmes offered by the School, see the prospective students section.
Part of each academic year is the Distinguished Lecture Series, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019.
The first degree in Computer Science at St Andrews was awarded in 1971. In 1992, the School appointed the first female professor at the University of St Andrews since its founding in 1413. The School of Computer Science was established from a de-merger with Mathematics in 1999. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole building in 2004.
Alumni of the School can be found across the world in industry and academia. The University alumni portal presents resources for alumni.