Dr Consuelo Martino
Dr Martino completed both my BA and MA in Italy at the University of Padova, where she specialised in Roman History and Latin Literature. She received her Ph.D. from the University of St Andrews in 2021 with a thesis that explored how key figures and events of the Late Roman Republic have informed Suetonius’ narrative of the Julio-Claudian emperors in the Lives of the Caesars. She held positions at the University of Durham (2022-23, Teaching Fellow in Ancient History) the University of Warwick (2021-22, Teaching Fellow in Roman History and Epigraphy) and University of St Andrews (2021, Research Fellow on the project “Autocracy: Leadership Ancient and Modern”, working with Principal Investigator Dr Emma Buckley).
From May 2023 she is Leverhulme Early Career Fellow at the University of Edinburgh, working on the project "Civil War and Cultural Trauma: Rethinking the Beginning of the Roman Empire"
Dr Martino's research is centred on the cultural history, literature and politics of the Late Roman Republic and the Augustan principate as well as its reception in the empire. Her main research focuses are:
- History and Narrative of Civil war (from antiquity to nowadays)
- The Roman army and its political role in the Roman Empire
- Leadership representation and leadership theory
- Combat trauma, war trauma and cultural trauma
- Politics of the late Roman Republic
- Julius Caesar and his imperial memory
- The ‘alternative voices’ to Augustus in the Triumviral age (43-31 BCE)
- The memory of the Republic in imperial literature and cultural history
- The evolution of political propaganda
Review of "Van Dijk (W.) The Successor. Tiberius and the Triumph of the Roman Empire. Translated by Kathleen Brandt-Carey"Martino, C., 2020, In: Classical Review.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article
The Present and the Past: echoes of Late Republic and Augustan Rome in ab Urbe condita 1Martino, C., 2020, (Accepted/In press) Livio ad Urbem condendam. Riletture del Passato in età Augustea. Roncaglia, A. (ed.). Edizioni Saecula
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed) › peer-review
Richiami alla pro Cluentio nei "Baccanali" di Tito LivioMartino, C., 2015, In: Rivista Storica dell'Antichità. 45, p. 31-43
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review