English language requirements for undergraduate students
The requirements on this page are relevant for undergraduate applicants for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Do I need to provide an English language test score?
Whether you will need to provide an English language test score to evidence your English language ability depends on your educational background. Decisions are normally taken based on the criteria below, but the University of St Andrews reserves the right to ask for additional evidence of English language ability.
Faculties of Science, Arts and Divinity
You should not need to provide an English language test score to evidence your English language ability if one of the following applies:
- You are a national of the UK, Canada or one of the countries considered by UKVI to be a majority English-speaking country.
- You have an English-medium secondary/high school leaving qualification (which you will be required to provide proof of) that:
- Was taken at a school with a substantial English language educational environment, as evidenced by an appropriate online presence, and at which you were registered as a student for at least the final two years of your secondary/high school education.
- Includes at least one subject with a substantial component of writing in English at grade B (or equivalent) or above.
- You have completed an International Foundation or International Year One programme at the University of St Andrews, and have achieved the threshold score to be admitted onto an undergraduate degree programme.
Students who cannot provide any of the evidence above will need to submit a valid English language test score as indicated below.
Faculty of Medicine
If you have completed you final four years of secondary or high school education in an English-medium school, this may in some cases be considered as evidence of English language ability. This will be considered on a case by case basis at the point of application. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Which English language test score should I provide?
The table below indicates a language profile for each Faculty. Clicking on a profile link will take you to the list of acceptable tests and scores that you may submit to meet English language requirements for your intended degree.
Test scores are only normally accepted if obtained within two years of the programme start date.
Typically, profiles listed here will include a score on the University’s own 4-week Pre-sessional Course, which can be taken to meet English language requirements. See more details on the University of St Andrews 4-week Pre-sessional Course web page.
|Faculty||English language requirements profile|
|Arts and Divinity (all Schools except the School of English)||Profile 3-D|
|Arts and Divinity (School of English)||Profile 1-D|