The International Education Institute provides two pre-sessional courses for students who use English as an additional language and who have an offer to study at the University. Pre-sessional courses provide an excellent orientation to the University and enable students to develop:
- language knowledge and academic literacy
- attributes of reflectiveness, criticality, autonomy, confidence and academic integrity
- critical analysis skills and the ability to incorporate sources and evidence in academic work
- knowledge of academic and discipline-specific conventions
- familiarity with institutional services, processes, and forms of assessment.
Summary of changes due to coronavirus disruption
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the University have made some changes to pre-sessional courses running in the summer of 2020:
1. The courses will employ a “dual delivery” teaching method. Please see the course pages for more details.
2. Students with offers from selected Schools can apply for a combined visa.
3. Students with offers from selected Schools who require a Tier 4 student visa and cannot obtain a Secure English Language Test (SELT) due to the COVID-19 disruption to testing in their country, can submit an equivalent score from other English language tests.
4. Deadline for presenting English language evidence is Monday 6 July 2020.
See the pre-sessional course pages below for more course details, how to apply, fees, entry requirements, deadlines for applications and visas, and accommodation information. If you have already received a pre-sessional offer, find out what steps you need to take next.
For postgraduate students with conditional offers and English qualifications which are not sufficient for entry to the 4-week course. This includes students who are experiencing delays in obtaining English language test scores or completing undergraduate courses due to the COVID-19 crisis.
For students where the pre-sessional course is a condition of their undergraduate or postgraduate offer, for students with unconditional offers, and for those who choose to attend to prepare for their future studies as the course will introduce them to the town and culture.