The International Education Institute provides two pre-sessional courses for students who use English as an additional language and who have an offer to study at the University:
- 10-week course, for conditional offer-holders of selected Schools
- 4-week course, for all conditional and unconditional offer-holders.
A pre-sessional course may be a condition of your offer, or you can choose to attend a pre-sessional course, as it will prepare you for your future studies and introduce you to the town and culture.
Pre-sessional courses take place during the July to September period and involve around 20 hours of class time per week, Monday to Friday. They provide an excellent orientation to the University and enable students to develop:
- language knowledge and academic literacy
- attributes of reflectiveness, criticality, autonomy, confidence and academic integrity
- critical analysis skills and the ability to incorporate sources and evidence in academic work
- knowledge of academic and discipline-specific conventions
- familiarity with institutional services, processes, and forms of assessment.
These courses are designed, where possible, to take into account your particular needs whether you are a taught or research student, as well as the School you intend to join for your degree programme.