English language tests for Academic English Pre-sessional courses (distance learning only)
Applicants who intend to complete an Academic English Pre-sessional Course (AEPC) entirely online from outside of the UK in summer 2021, can present any of the following tests as evidence of their English language ability, and do not need to present a Secure English Language Test (SELT):
- In person non-SELT IELTS (Academic)
- In person non-SELT Pearson PTE (Academic)
- In person non-SELT LanguageCert International ESOL B2/C1
- In person non-SELT Trinity ISE II/III
- In-person Cambridge English
- In-person TOEFL iBT
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- Duolingo English Test
Applicants who complete an AEPC entirely online from outside of the UK will only be able to apply for a visa for their degree programme after receiving their AEPC results. This is likely to result in an arrival date in St Andrews that is later than the start of Semester 1 teaching.
Required English language test scores
To know what English language test scores you are required to submit with your application, you need to:
1. Identify what English language profile applies to both your intended degree subject and the AEPC you will be studying. To identify what English language profile applies to you, see the English language requirements for pre-degree students.
2. Check the required scores for students intending to study an AEPC entirely online from outside of the UK, in the menus here below:
For questions about English language tests and required scores for Academic English Pre-sessional courses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.