St Andrews Sanctuary Scholarship
- Application period opens
- Friday 18 November 2022
- Application period closes
- Tuesday 25 April 2023
- Scholarships collections
St Andrews is committed to attracting the very best students, and to providing a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone in our community. The University is pleased to provide a new Sanctuary Scholarship, specifically designed to support undergraduate and postgraduate applicants who are seeking sanctuary in the UK.
The Sanctuary Scholarship is open to any applicant that has an official Home Office status as one of the following:
- Asylum Seeker
- Humanitarian protection (with forced migration background)
- Limited leave to remain (with forced migration background)
- Discretionary leave to remain (with forced migration background)
In order for us to consider you for 'Home' tuition fee status, please ensure you have provided us with the correct information.
Your Tuition fee status will not be adjusted by any immigration status changes during your course
Value of award (per year)
Up to 12 full scholarships
- Tuition Fees - Applicants are advised to apply for government (public) funding from SAAS/SFE unless they are not eligible to do so. The Sanctuary scholarship will fund any remaining liability.
- Accommodation - catered accommodation as advertised by Accommodation Services*, or the equivalent paid towards private accommodation (as monthly maintenance)
- Maintenance - Additional living allowance (Paid monthly) of £100 per week.
(Undergraduate payments are for 39 weeks, postgraduate payments are for 52 weeks)
Applicants are encouraged to apply for government funding (e.g. SAAS/SFE) where eligible to do so, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Undergraduate Government funding (opens in new tab)
- Postgraduate Government funding (opens in new tab)
- Scottish Government (SAAS) funding (opens in a new tab)
The University offers flexible funding to sanctuary students depending on your situation, immigration restrictions, Government or other funding provided.
Awardees are asked to contact the Sanctuary team to discuss funding arrangements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration of award
This award is paid annually for the duration of the student's programme.
At what stage of my course application can I apply for this scholarship?
You can apply for the scholarship after you have submitted your course application for a place at the University of St Andrews. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
Available to students studying at:
Domicile for fee status
Available to faculty members from:
Mode of study
As part of the application you will be asked to upload the following documents:
- A personal statement, which should be no longer than two pages. Please include the following when writing your statement:
- Academic merit and potential
- Demonstrated interest in your chosen field of study
- Financial need
- The impact of your forced migration status on your access to education.
- Whether you have any dependents.
- Evidence of your household income.
- If you are an asylum seeker and are unable to provide household evidence please upload evidence confirming your official Home Office Status.
You will be asked to provide accommodation requirements in the application form. This is to assist with temporarily holding a room for awardees until they can apply directly to accommodation services.
How to apply
After you have applied to a new course beginning in the academic year 2023, you will be provided with login details for the My application portal. You must allow up to three working days for processing and issue of your log in details before you can apply for this scholarship.
This scholarship is available through the relevant (undergraduate or postgraduate) St Andrews Sanctuary Scholarship application in the Scholarships and Funding Catalogue in the Scholarships and Funding section of My application or MySaint if you are a current student at the University of St Andrews applying to start a new degree.
You must complete, submit and provide all references before the deadline date.
Terms and conditions
Please read the University of St Andrews scholarships terms and conditions (opens in new tab)
Sanctuary awardees will be required to apply directly to Accommodation Services to secure University Accommodation. This process is separate to the scholarship application. Where University accommodation is indicated on the scholarship application, the Sanctuary team will attempt to hold a standard room for the awardee. However, the room can only be held for a brief period of time. The room may be lost if the awardee does not apply directly to Accommodation Services, does not meet the course conditions or does not respond to communications in a timely manner.
*When applying for University accommodation, undergraduate awardees should select catered standard accommodation (single room), and postgraduate awardees should select a catered single room in David Russell Apartments as their preference.
The Scholarship is unable to provide funding until you are a fully registered student at the University of St Andrews. Please ensure you have considered the cost required to make your way to the University to complete matriculation and become a registered student.
After the scholarships have been awarded, the Sanctuary team will arrange an online or phone meeting with each awardee and key colleagues to better understand individual situations and discuss any additional information or support required.
Undergraduate students should note the Sanctuary scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with the St Andrews Access scholarship. Applicants awarded the higher valued Sanctuary scholarship will automatically rescind the St Andrews Access scholarship.
When will I know the outcome?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available in My Application, Scholarships and Funding, View my funding applications by mid May 2023.