How to apply
To submit your application to study abroad or on exchange with the University of St Andrews, follow these steps:
- Discuss your application with your home institution.
Some partners will submit your application to St Andrews on your behalf while others will expect you to apply directly; please discuss with your home university if you are unsure. If you are applying to the exchange programme through a partner university, you must be nominated by your home university.
- Check the entry requirements.
- Please review the information provided on this website. It includes important information about choosing modules, the St Andrews advising system, as well as information on things to consider before submitting an application. There is also information on what to expect before and after your arrival in St Andrews, as well as information about accommodation.
- Before submitting an application you must review our exchange and study abroad student policy page. This includes information about deferred entry, applicants with disabilities or extenuating circumstances, disclosure of criminal convictions, and fraudulent or plagiarised applications.
- Complete an application form and submit by the published deadline. Please ensure that all supplementary information (see below) is attached to your application.
Completed applications are considered on a rolling basis from the application opening date until the application deadline. You may normally expect to receive an answer within four weeks of submitting a complete application.
September 2023 entry
We are happy to receive exchange nominations from partner institutions via email to email@example.com until 1 April 2023.
Applications for September 2023 entry are now open and we will accept study abroad and exchange applications until the 15 April 2023 deadline. Please refer to the instructions above.
In addition to your application form, you must submit appropriate supplementary information by the above deadlines.
Supplementary information includes:
- Academic transcripts
The transcript must be official and up-to-date, and you should include transcripts for time spent at other universities if relevant. Applications cannot be accepted that are marked as unofficial. Upload your official transcripts directly to your application, or ask your home institution to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academic reference
Your reference must be written by an academic member of staff at your current home institution. It must be signed and written on official headed letter paper. Upload your reference directly to your application, or ask your referee to email it to email@example.com. Please note, a reference not required for IMACS exchange students.
- Proof of English language ability, if appropriate
If your first language is not English, you must submit evidence of your English language proficiency as part of your application. See English language requirements.