Skip navigation to content

Loans for US students

Information for new students.

Studying at a foreign school means that you are ineligible for the usual US-based financial aid such as Pell Grants and Perkins Loans. The US loan team at the University of St Andrews can only administer your applications for US loans.

The University, however, does offer a small number of international scholarships each year.   Please note the application deadlines for these are mid-March.  For further details please see our scholarships pages.

As a foreign school we are required to use international exchange rates to recalculate our cost of attendance figures in preparation for the next cohort of US loan students. This is done annually in May following which, we will be able to confirm your actual loan eligibility and to provide further instructions.

Applying for loans at the University of St Andrews.

How to apply for loans for US students

Please note: School code G08461 must be entered on your FAFSA before we can certify your loans.

Not all categories, of students are eligible for direct loans (for example);

  1. William and Mary students on the Joint BA International Honours Degree.
  2. Distance learning students.
  3. Study abroad - in certain cases the eligibility of study abroad students to receive federal aid may be affected. Please contact at the earliest opportunity for further guidance.

The above categories of students are only eligible for private loans up to the relative cost of attendance.

We would be grateful if you could complete your FAFSA. Please note because this information is not automatically forwarded to foreign schools, please email your social security number and date of birth to to enable us to download your student aid report (SAR).

Direct loan applications can be completed at student loans. Please complete your entrance counselling and the direct loan master promissory note by clicking on the link above. The University’s School code is G08461 and you will need this code to complete the counselling session and the master promissory note. This code may also be required to confirm St Andrews as an accredited University in order to receive funds from 529 savings plan.

Please note, if you have not completed the entrance counselling or master promissory note (and/or loan application for a plus loan) this will hold up the loan process.

For returning students please note you are required to complete a FAFSA and a new master promissory note for each loan type in each new academic year.

If you intend to study at the University of St Andrews next year and have not completed your FAFSA indicating the University of St Andrews, then please do this as soon as possible so that we can consider your loan application.

Important - Availability of funds

In accordance with US Department of Education regulations we are unable to make loan funds available until you are confirmed in attendance and fully registered at the University of St Andrews. Please ensure you have enough funds to cover your first month's expenses prior to receiving any refunds due. This is especially important for those students in private accommodation. Disbursement dates are when loan funds are received by the university. Under US DoE regulations any surplus will be refunded within 14 days of the loan disbursement to the University.

If you have any enquiries please email

Postgraduate code of practice

Students who have submitted or are re-submitting their thesis are no longer fully registered students at the University of St Andrews and are therefore not eligible to apply for US loans. Further details can be found on the Research postgraduate programmes policy pages.

Students doing fieldwork in the US are not eligible for Federal Loans unless this happens in the writing-up period of their dissertation and for no longer than one year.

Students considering taking a Leave of Absence or a Change of Location of Studies should contact the US Loan Team at the earliest opportunity as this may affect your Federal Loan Funding.

Last reviewed 15 June 2018


Can't find what you are looking for?

Search our FAQs or submit your own question…

Ask a question

See also