Borrow, recall, return
For essential items not already available digitally
To reduce travel, please use this service only to request critical items. Before making a request, check if the item has been scanned for a Reading List or limit Library search by ‘E-books only’ or ‘E-resources only’ to see what's available.
Click and Collect allows you to borrow physical items: use Library search to find what you need and then request it by selecting the 'Click and Collect' button. If you only need a chapter of a book, or a single journal article, request a scan.
- You can request up to ten items at one time.
- Items will be available within two days, and you will be emailed when an item is ready for you.
- Pick up your items between 1200 noon and 4pm Monday to Sunday.
- Items will be held for five days.
- Collect all items from the Main Library (please do not enter the building, follow the signage and wait for Library staff to approach).
- Before you arrive, please ensure you have your ID card.
- You can nominate someone to collect items for you, if you can't come to the Main Library. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us the name of the person you have nominated and when they will be collecting the items for you. Please wait until we get back to you, before asking this person to come to the Library.
If the item you need is out on loan, recall it. When it is available for you, we'll email your University account and you can collect the item in the usual way through Click and Collect.
Please allow around ten days for material to be returned and for the quarantine period to complete.
Use the book drop letterbox outside the Main Library entrance to return all items.
If you can’t get back to the Library to return books, please post them to us:
University of St Andrews Library
Charges and fines
All fines for overdue books have been suspended. The Library will charge £6.55 if items are posted out to you.