The Department of Film Studies uses several dedicated teaching rooms, all of which have been fitted with Blu-ray players for screenings.
The Byre conference room
All Honours and MA seminars take place in a specially fitted teaching room in the recently re-opened Byre Theatre. 3D projection for seminars and screenings is available, and the layout is designed to promote student-led discussion.
The Byre studio theatre
This bigger space is used for student presentation sessions, as well as for special screening series and a series of research presentations.
The Film Studies boardroom
This is a dedicated teaching space, which includes Virtual Reality facilities, located in the Department building on 99 North Street. All first and second year tutorials are located in this room, which features a large projection screen.
Buchanan Lecture Theatre
Recently renovated with state-of the art projection facilities, the Buchanan Lecture Theatre is the lecture and screening space for first and second year classes.
The Library houses a growing collection of international films, books, and journals.
The collection consists of over 5,500 books classified under Film Studies and related subjects (from a collection of over 1.2 million print monographs and 69,000 electronic books). It also includes approximately 100 film, television and media-related journals (over 65 available electronically).
The Library hosts one of the best collections of international cinema on DVD, holding over 9,300 AV materials and including a range of extremely rare films and holdings. The University has access to specialist databases for Film Studies. These include:
- Box of Broadcasts
- Film Indexes Online
- Film and Television Literature Index Full-text
- British Universities Film
- Video Council (BUFVC)
- British Universities Newsreel Database (BUND)
- Ethnographic Video Online.
Through the University’s Library Enhancement Fund the Department has acquired a range of specialist materials, including rare film collections and databases. These include:
- "Pioneers of African-American Cinema" film collection
- Jonas Mekas: The Major Works
- Jean Rouch: Six Films (Jaguar/ The Lion Hunters/ Little By Little/ Moi, Un Noir/ Mammy Water/ The Mad Masters)
- Counter-Music (Harun Farocki, 2004)
- Parallele I-IV (Harun Farocki, 2012)
- Warner Collection Archive (70 additional titles to complete existing holdings)
- Video in the Villages collection from DER
- Third World Newsreel – the indigenous videos made by CEFREC-CAIB
- Leena Manimekalai (collection of 12 DVDs)
- Complete films of Anand Patwardhan
- Arthur Lipsett films
- Rare DVDs Documentary and Experimental Film – selection of 15 titles
- Queer cinema – selection of ten titles including work of Andy Warhol, Barbara Hammer, Sadie Benning and Su Friedrich
- Documentaries – selection of nine titles including work of Frederick Wiseman and Guillermo Gomez-Pena
- Experimental Film – selection of 48 titles (including work of Bruce Baillie, Ken Jacobs, Jordan Belson and Kurt Kren)
- Asian Studies in Video (online database)
- Ethnographic Video Online I and II (online database)