International Excellence Scholarship
- Application period opens
- Tuesday 1 November 2022
- Application period closes
- This scholarship deadline has now passed (Tuesday 31 January 2023)
- Scholarships collections
- International Undergraduate Scholarships
The International Excellence Scholarship is available to international students who will be studying at St Andrews for an undergraduate degree starting in 2023 with an Overseas fee status. The Selection Committee seeks applicants who are gifted students with academic excellence. The successful scholars will be expected to serve as a Student Ambassador and represent the University at a number of events.
If, due to school policy, you are unable to upload your references please upload a document detailing the name and email address of your referee and ask them to email the reference to firstname.lastname@example.org by the scholarship deadline. Please ensure you submit the application before the deadline in order to be considered.
Value of award (per year)
Full tuition fees (one award)
Duration of award
This award is paid annually for the duration of the student's undergraduate programme.
At what stage of my course application can I apply for this scholarship?
You can apply for the scholarship after you have submitted your course application for a place at the University of St Andrews. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
Available to students studying at:
Available to students studying:
Domicile for fee status
Available to faculty members from:
Mode of study
- Only available to students entering their first year of an undergraduate degree (this includes direct entry into year two of course, it does not include students transferring from another institution).
- Applicants must be academically achieving within the top 10% of their school
- The Selection Committee seeks applicants who are gifted students with academic excellence. The successful scholars will be expected to fulfil an ambassadorial role and represent the University at a number of events.
- You will be required to provide a statement of motivation in support of your application (not more than 250 words). This should include your reasons for applying for the Scholarship, explaining how you would expect to benefit from the opportunities the award provides, and describing how you think you might contribute to the community while studying at the University of St Andrews. Also include details of academic achievements which you believe would make you a good candidate for this scholarship.
- Recipients of the scholarship will be expected to engage with our Student Ambassadors Scheme. Work through the scheme is varied, but will likely entail engaging in outreach activities and assisting our Admissions staff with events aimed at prospective students and offer holders to help share your experience of being a student at St Andrews.
- You will also be required to provide two references; both an academic and personal letter of recommendation (not more than 200 words each).
- The academic reference could be from a teacher, college counsellor or someone who knows your academic capabilities well.
- The personal reference should be given from a non-family member who will serve as a personal character reference. For example an academic advisor who is aware of your personal attributes, a current or former employer, senior staff member in an organisation where you have volunteered.
- If, due to school policy, you are unable to upload your references please upload a document detailing the name and email address of your referee and ask them to email the reference to email@example.com by the scholarship deadline.
It is extremely important that you give complete and accurate information when applying to us for funding.
Your course and funding application are not linked and applying for funding in no way impedes your course application.
How to apply
This scholarship is available through the International Excellence Scholarship application.
This scholarship is available for application through the scholarship and funding catalogue in the Scholarships and Funding section of My application.
After you have applied to a new course beginning in the academic year 2023, you will be provided with login details for the My application portal. You must allow at least two working days for processing and issue of your log in details before you can apply for this scholarship.
If, due to school policy or personal preference, you are unable to upload your references please upload a document detailing the name and email address of your referee and ask them to email the reference to firstname.lastname@example.org by the scholarship deadline. The scholarships team will not be responsible for chasing references, this is the responsibility of the applicant.
Terms and conditions
Please read the University of St Andrews scholarships terms and conditions
(opens in new tab)
When will I know the outcome?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on ‘View my applications’ in the Scholarships and Funding section of My Application by mid March 2023.