Will Fowler's visit to Mexico
Professor Will Fowler was in Mexico back in February and March where he presented his latest book La Guerra de Tres Años, 1857-1861 (Mexico City: Crítica, 2020) 485pp. He gave a total of 11 public lectures/book presentations and 2 workshops in Mexico City, Puebla, Xalapa, Veracruz, San Luis Potosí, Guadalajara, and Guanajuato, and was interviewed by the media, making several appearances on television.
Some of the articles that have since been published in the press covering the publication of Will’s new history of what was Mexico’s most violent civil war in the nineteenth century can be accessed here:
- Will Fowler indaga la Guerra de los Tres Años, uno de los periodos más olvidados en el seno de una historia;
- Will Fowler ‘rescata’ la verdadera historia de la Guerra de Tres Años;
- El historiador británico Will Fowler saca del olvido la Guerra de Tres Años;
- ‘Guerra de Reforma es poco estudiada’: Will Fowler ; Will Fowler busca revalorar la Guerra de Tres Años.
Some of the lectures and book presentations are also on Youtube:
- Félix Zuloaga y la Guerra de Tres Años;
- La gramática de la guerra civil y la Guerra de Tres Años;
- Book presentation in Puebla;
- Interview he gave on Fórmula TV.
Whilst in Mexico, Will also gave a public lecture in the historic Palacio de Bellas Artes as part of the exhibition “Estampas de un teatro del México del siglo XIX”, on the cultural projects of Santa Anna’s 1840s governments (which included the construction of the Gran Teatro de Santa Anna which opened in 1844, described in 1850 by U.S. diplomat and poet Bayard Taylor as “one of the finest theaters in the world”).