A portrait of Lucy Menzies for College Hall: Fundraising Campaign
Please visit the fundraising campaign page.
The School of Divinity has had its home in St Mary's College since 1539. At our heart is the College Hall, where our research seminars, thesis examinations, and staff meetings are held.
College Hall, with its wood-panelled ceiling, large fireplace and 18th-century furniture, is largely unchanged from earlier centuries, and includes a collection of oil portraits of former professors and principals, including Samuel Rutherford and John Tulloch. One spot near the window (currently occupied by an anonymous print) remains.
We want to take this chance to commission a new oil portrait of Lucy Menzies. Lucy, who is commemorated in the Scottish Episcopal Church on 24 November, was born in St Andrews in 1882 and died there in 1954. She was a scholar and mystic who wrote on St Columba and Queen Margaret, and was associated with Evelyn Underhill and Charles Williams. Shortly before her death, she was the first woman to be awarded an honorary D.D. from the University of St Andrews. More information on her is available here.
A fine young artist, Jeffrey Wood, has undertaken the task of a portrait for College Hall, measuring 500mm x 600mm, executed in colour in oil, and based on a portrait, supplemented by a sitter. Please visit the fundraising campaign page for details, photos, and to contribute to this commission.