First Chances senior phase
First Chances senior phase aims to equip S4 to S6 pupils with the skills necessary to achieve their full potential and enhance their chances of being offered a place on a competitive college or university course of their choice wherever this may be.
Pupils are selected at the start of S3 or continue on from the First Chances foundation, dependent on their school.
Pupils engage in a programme of workshops tutoring, project work, e-mentoring and summer schools. These are designed to meet their needs at each phase of their education. This includes:
- Tutoring – group sessions designed to suit all levels of study (National 4 or 5, Higher, Advanced Higher)
- Revision Camps – an opportunity for pupils to develop specific skills, talk to tutors and access a quiet study space
- Residential summer schools – an opportunity for pupils to sample college and university life and expand their network of contacts
- Confidence and teambuilding workshops
- Tasks based on increasing numeracy and literacy skills
- Access to a secure online mentoring platform
- Access to study resources – including revision guides and past papers to suit National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher study.
Progression to subsequent years of the programme is subject to pupils completing all requisite participation requirements.
In the weeks prior to each event, staff will email an invite to pupils to attend. This email will provide information about the event and a timetable for the day. Pupils should check their email regularly as well as their junk and spam folders in case our emails end up there.