Skip navigation to content


The University of St Andrews is a Tier 4 Sponsor (licence number V63Q719H2) under the Points Based Migration System. This means that we are able to welcome students from all over the world to study at our beautiful and ancient institution.

This section explains how you can come to or remain in the UK as an adult student under UK Immigration system. Whether you need to have a Tier 4 (General) Student visa or not depends on your nationality and the length of course you are planning to undertake.

In some circumstances you may be able to study in the UK without needing to apply under Tier 4 (General) as an adult student. However, your ability to work while you are studying here may be restricted.

The information in this section is only relevant for non-EU nationals that will register at the University of St Andrews as full-time students; if you are coming to St Andrews as a Visiting Scholar, Visiting Researcher, Academic Visitor or any other capacity you should contact the University for advice before making your visa application.


International Student Advisers

Student Services
The Advice & Support Centre

79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: 01334 46 2020

Related links

    • Visa Confirmation events
    • UKVI Guidance for Staff