Skip navigation to content

Field travel: risk assessment and insurance

Fieldwork risk assessment

It is important that suitable and sufficient risk assessments are carried out for fieldwork and travel where there is a foreseeable potential for significant risk of injury.

Environmental Health and Safety Services (EHSS) regularly update the Guidance on Travel and Fieldwork Risk Assessments Moodle site, which should be the central point of reference for researchers, as the information is constantly changing. This site contains the relevant policies, forms and guidance.

Postgraduate researchers should also refer to the Policy on Fieldwork for postgraduates.

Responsibilities and contact points

Individual researchers are responsible for familiarising themselves with these policies/guidance, and completing the form in conjunction with their supervisor/manager.

If individuals require any assistance interpreting the resources and/or completing the form, they should contact the owner of the Moodle site, Dr Paul Szawlowski, Deputy Director of Health and Safety, on



It is important that the right insurance is in place for fieldwork and travel abroad. Researchers must contact the Insurance office prior to booking travel if their plans meet any of the following conditions:

  • there any relevant economic (or other) sanctions against the proposed destination;
  • there any Foreign & Commonwealth Office warnings against travel to that destination; or
  • the trip will last longer than 365 days.

Responsibilities and contact points

Individual researchers are responsible for determining whether their travel plans meet any of the conditions listed above prior to booking travel and contacting the Insurance office.

Details of contact points and the University travel insurance (which you should take with you) are available on the Staff and Student University Travel webpage.

UTREC word cloud


UTREC Office

College Gate
St Andrews
KY16 9AJ
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: 01334 462368


Related links